• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1957 LP Goldtop all mahogany

MikeSlub

Administrator
Purchased from a well known LPF Member. Rare all mahogany version from late 1957. Had a few minor issues (like Grovers that I replaced with Klusons) which have been addressed. Amazing sound and plays great! It is heavy as an all mahogany guitar, but the sound makes up for it! :dude: I also have a 1957 with P-90s that is an awesome geetar!

57_Goldtop.jpg

marfen

Beauty. Do you find the tone a lot different than a maple cap 57? We all have read that the maple cap = brighter tone ...I'd like to hear your observations as you have a lot of grail tone monsters in your collection. Is it in the 9 lb range ...or heavier? thx

NYCBURST

Very Nice. I happen to think the all mahogany gold tops
Are special. Great score!

MikeSlub

Administrator
Beauty. Do you find the tone a lot different than a maple cap 57? We all have read that the maple cap = brighter tone ...I'd like to hear your observations as you have a lot of grail tone monsters in your collection. Is it in the 9 lb range ...or heavier? thx
I don’t hear a lot of tonal difference. Just really sings! It is definitely not darker sounding than maple to my ears. Maybe a bit snappier? And she is a boat anchor at 10 lbs. - but the sound makes up for it. :hank

mipstoo

Purchased from a well known LPF Member. Rare all mahogany version from late 1957. Had a few minor issues (like Grovers that I replaced with Klusons) which have been addressed. Amazing sound and plays great! It is heavy as an all mahogany guitar, but the sound makes up for it! :dude: I also have a 1957 with P-90s that is an awesome geetar!

57_Goldtop.jpg

I'm so jealous now... :spabout

thin sissy

That is wonderful!

Out of curiosity, how does one tell it's all mahogany? The routes?

J.D.

I've A-B compared an all Mahogany reissue R7 to typical maple capped reissues and there was a subtle audible difference. Hard to describe in words but I'd say the upper frequencies were where I was hearing it. Maybe just overall smoother. Hard to say though with n=1.

Mike, is the body 1-piece like a Custom of the era and drilled through from jack to switch?

thunderkyss

57_Goldtop.jpg

Shwing!!!!

giphy.gif

Got any close ups of the natural petina?

sws1

That is wonderful!

Out of curiosity, how does one tell it's all mahogany? The routes?

No sliver of maple in the cutaway.
You can also look in the cavities, but you need a screwdriver and a friendly owner to let you do that.

2648_p36467.jpeg

CDaughtry

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator
I’m happy to have enabled you on this one my friend!:teeth

marshall1987

Individual variances with pots, caps, and pickups can make a direct comparison between all-mahogany and maple-top futile. :dang

J.D.

Individual variances with pots, caps, and pickups can make a direct comparison between all-mahogany and maple-top futile. :dang

True, but there are characteristics that can be heard acoustically.

Bruce R

... Had a few minor issues (like Grovers that I replaced with Klusons) which have been addressed.

Silly question, Mike. By reinstalling the Klusons how did you makeup for the larger routing required for the Grovers? Use the oversized adapter bushings or fill the holes back in and re-drill them?

I have a similar situation with my '69 but I would need to enlarge the holes a bit more just to get the adapters to fit in.

Beautiful guitar!!

marfen

Mike, thanks for sharing the pics and sharing how it sounds. Great addition to the fleet!

MikeSlub

Administrator
Silly question, Mike. By reinstalling the Klusons how did you makeup for the larger routing required for the Grovers? Use the oversized adapter bushings or fill the holes back in and re-drill them?

I have a similar situation with my '69 but I would need to enlarge the holes a bit more just to get the adapters to fit in.

Beautiful guitar!!
I had purchased the oversized adapter bushings, but when I removed the Grovers I found that the routings weren’t enlarged. I used the regular sized bushings - they fit right in. :hank