• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1957 LP Goldtop all mahogany

zhivago

oh and by the way Awsome score! it looks clean i like th clean 'unreliced' look.
i always wondered if the black customs were less dough because of the magogany? i dont get it. i,ve had a few of those and i lovem. 'the one' was a 55 man it had hot pickups it screamed! my pal got it in a pawnshop in the early nineties pocatelo idaho, traded a 22 pistol and 60 bucks!!!! i kept the receipt to look at sometimes lol i heard the guitar wound up later at gruhns. somebody got a good one. i think they are sleepers on the market in the 20kish range.
another time (in the seventies) i had a 56 from a pawnshop i was playing a big kegger party, this old as dirt dude happened to show up and it had been his guitar in the fifties!!
he had shaved the neck with a broken piece of glass and the decent scratch by the tone knob is where he said his brother threw a glass of wine at him.
sorry i,m rambling...i dont get out much

Cool stories! I love Customs, especially the Alnico ones! :dude:

agogetr

Cool stories! I love Customs, especially the Alnico ones! :dude:
thanks man. it gets better.. ironically when i got the 55 custom a 22 pistol was part of that deal too. and i gave him a 58 gretsch country club that played like butter (it really did) that i didnt want to get rid of but... a les paul custom!
we did the deal then he said 'by the way the red celica i drove in with is yours too' !!! what? he said ya just give me a ride home. i thought 'awesome!'
i found out later that the evening prior to the deal he got in a scuffle at the bar and rammed the guy with the car outside on the road knocking him into the ditch then left. guess he was trying to cover his trail.(thanks bro)and i found out about a year later the les paul was his dads. the dad wasnt reall happy with him.
i,m actually a bit notorious with their whole family, another time i got a clay dot red jazzmaster from the older brother(he bought it new) and heard the nephews blew a fuse. but hey.. i used to play that thing when i was fourteen i was attached to it as well! in an act of forced decency i called the 'other' brother and said 'man give me the same dough i paid and you guys can have it back' he said dont worry about it the nephews just wanted to sell it anyway. so...

zhivago

thanks man. it gets better.. ironically when i got the 55 custom a 22 pistol was part of that deal too. and i gave him a 58 gretsch country club that played like butter (it really did) that i didnt want to get rid of but... a les paul custom!
we did the deal then he said 'by the way the red celica i drove in with is yours too' !!! what? he said ya just give me a ride home. i thought 'awesome!'
i found out later that the evening prior to the deal he got in a scuffle at the bar and rammed the guy with the car outside on the road knocking him into the ditch then left. guess he was trying to cover his trail.(thanks bro)and i found out about a year later the les paul was his dads. the dad wasnt reall happy with him.
i,m actually a bit notorious with their whole family, another time i got a clay dot red jazzmaster from the older brother(he bought it new) and heard the nephews blew a fuse. but hey.. i used to play that thing when i was fourteen i was attached to it as well! in an act of forced decency i called the 'other' brother and said 'man give me the same dough i paid and you guys can have it back' he said dont worry about it the nephews just wanted to sell it anyway. so...

Man, that's a crazy twist to the story with the car! :wow

Great score on the Jazzmaster too...I love them...I have a '61 that is just amazing! :hank

Progrocker111

I've only played one GT like that but had it's use for several months. I owned a couple of Customs, Specials and a boatload of Jrs. I never found any lacking in hig frequency or brightness. Who claims Jrs or SG's lack highs, electrically or acousticly? GE Smith let me play his all maple Jr and it was definitely no brighter than the typical Jr, but I found the bass tighter and less full or open. My thought was the maple top on the original model was to do just that, tighten the bass and balance the tone on the cleanish 50's stuff on the typically bassier amps back then.

Exactly, all-mahogany Les Pauls can be exactly same bright as the ones with maple top. From my experience the only small difference in tone and feeling is that sometimes they have a bit less tighter bass (more boomy and airy, perceived as more mids in fact) and can be a bit slower in attack, but its not a general rule as always with guitars. :)

agogetr

Man, that's a crazy twist to the story with the car! :wow

Great score on the Jazzmaster too...I love them...I have a '61 that is just amazing! :hank
man i swear jazzmasters have the best necks! my first 'real' guitar (after my first guitar a lyle sg copy) was a 61 jazzmaster from a hiippiedude out in the woods. 80 bucks. that was in 1977.he lived in an old trailer propped up with pieces of firewood. i borrowed my brothers truimpth tr3 and coming back the case was so big and the car so small it had to hang out towards the back, my pal (the other other brother of the red jazzmaster!) had to keep one arm on the case so it wouldnt fall out. i was beyond stoked to get that guitar, i played it til i traded a $180 71 pontiac lemans with a garden hose on the motor for a red 65 strat. the guy later was smoking a doobie and somehow burned the car to the ground. the strat the guys in my band forced me into trading it towards a keyboard so we could make flock of seagull helicopter sounds. ....priceless that strat went through the iranian revolution with me in 79, me and my strat are all that made it out! 'strats and special forces' thats another long winded story.