• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Neck dent to the back of brand new Historic

Redwine

Well I knew it would happen eventually but was hoping for it to not on the neck. It was dented last night by SOMEONE ELSE holding it. To make a long story short, I was furious. The first one always hurts. I guess it's "really mine" now. My current question is, should I repair it? I know there are methods of steaming etc. but this being a finished neck I don't think that would be a good idea. It made two small indentions. One being 1/4 long and looks like it dented the wood. It doesn't really bother me at the moment aside from an aesthetic point of view and the lacquer crack feeling. Would it be worth it to repair or just leave it as a scar? It took a pretty hard jolt to the back of the neck but wasn't dropped thankfully. It was knocked out of tune, but tuned it back up and it played fine. Picked it up this morning and still in tune perfectly.

V1wHzpK.jpg

V1wHzpK.jpg

thin sissy

I personally would just leave it. It's going to happen again and again, and you probably can't keep repairing it in the long run.

BTW, I have an R8 and two vintage LP's and they all have dings/bare wood on parts of the necks, and I never notice it while playing :salude

Redwine

I personally would just leave it. It's going to happen again and again, and you probably can't keep repairing it in the long run.

BTW, I have an R8 and two vintage LP's and they all have dings/bare wood on parts of the necks, and I never notice it while playing :salude

Yessir, that's what I was thinking. I hollered at a luthier friend of mine said the same thing if it's being used extensively like it is. I'm not one of those people that gets mad over dings/dents/scratches. Just always hurts on the first one! haha

Thundermtn

It's real mojo, leave it and be proud. My stage guitars have wood chunks missing, dents all over, worn down in the frets and the hardware is pitted from sweat. When it comes out of the bag now i just smile, it's rough at first but evetually yours will be the same.

renderit

That will always tell you where the Barre A is on a dark stage before you hit it to start the show with the lights out.

YOU NEED THAT.

Redwine

Thanks for all the replies fellas!! I sure appreciate it

Last edited:

zacknorton

Repair???

Sure.... if you want to spend $300 to have it drop filled and leave it at the shop for 2 weeks.

In other words, no.

Spend that money on pickups or something useful.

Redwine

Repair???

Sure.... if you want to spend $300 to have it drop filled and leave it at the shop for 2 weeks.

In other words, no.

Spend that money on pickups or something useful.

I decided not to! Thankfully my quote wasn’t anywhere near that much but I appreciate the input for sure! These custombuckers sound great! I probably need to invest in strap locks for this one or just buy a big bag of grolsch blocks :rofl

Zentar

The dent is in the middle. Does your hand even touch that part of the neck while you slide your hand?

Forget about it!

mustachio

Play the crap out of it. I messed up the maple neck fretboard on my Fender CS 1950 Double Esquire when case came down on it as I was pulling out (rimshot!) and case tooth ate it. Oh well.

Shocktop99

I buy mine pre-dinged so I don't have to go through all that...

52793079_10217559840764452_6971243005336354816_n.jpg

I've had my 79 LPC for almost a year play it about everyday (its my main squeeze so I play everything with it) and mines starting to chip off the back of the neck like yours! I must be doing a good job then!!! :yah

larryguitar

To each his own, but I'd drop-fill that with lacquer. It'd bug me, because I'm shallow. :)

Larry