• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Belated NVGD 1966 ES-345

JPP-1

I have to say, I’m loving this 1966 ES-345 more than I thought I would.

Despite the extremely low original frets playability is pretty great. The early pat number pickups sound spectacular with just the right balance of vowelly shimmer and woody crunch. The clean tone can get that hollow tele twang and round Strat chime

I think the Les Paul tone I’ve always preferred is also very much a 335 tone. A great Les Paul might be a touch thicker and have a little more bite when pushed but it will share a very similar tonal signature with the ES-335/345.

It’s amazing how close the tone can be given that the ES body is laminate maple with maple center block and the Les Paul body is solid mahogany with a maple cap.

Anyway I can’t say enough good things about it. I was contemplating putting it back to stock as I have the original harness, but it sounds so good, I probably should let it be.

I know this might be heresy as the 335 is the more illustrious sibling but I like the 345 aesthetics over the 335 or even 355. The gold hardware with those split inlays just kills it imho.

I’ll have to post some better shots when I get a chance.

XzwppS.jpg

Last edited:

Midnight Blues

I can see why you're loving it, she's a beauty!

Congrats, HBNVGD
jam.gif
and play her in good health!

garywright

345s are one of the coolest ..myself, I'd put the sundial and chickenhead back on for looks but leave it disconnected

AA00475Bassman

Your new Guitar is Beautiful Thanks for posting !
Ive owned several 345's 355's love them all ,my ES 345 is killer never owned a 335 . Why when you can have a 355 or 345 ? For
some I think its how stark the 335 is ?

Disclaimer : Soap box Derby car is stark , Ill take the 911 !

JPP-1

Your new Guitar is Beautiful Thanks for posting !
Ive owned several 345's 355's love them all ,my ES 345 is killer never owned a 335 . Why when you can have a 355 or 345 ? For
some I think its how stark the 335 is ?

Disclaimer : Soap box Derby car is stark , Ill take the 911 !

Thanks midnight, Brian, Gary and Bassman.

Lol, I’m a big Porsche fan and a firm believer the engine is suppose to be behind the seats.

Steve Craw

Formerly Lefty Elmo
Stunning!! My dream is to own a cherry ES-345 someday. Best guitar sound ever was the day I plugged an original lefty 1962 ES-345 into an Alessandro amp loaded with 4 Alnico Blue speakers, and heard the voice of God. Congrats on yours!

Last edited:

Progear

Congrats... the more you play her the more your going to fall in love .:salude