• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

My New SG "Dave's Special Edition '61 Reissue"

rockabilly69

110E1ba.jpg

First off, I have to say that I've been playing the hell out of my Historic SG Special, because after a lot of tweaking, it's become one of my all-time favorite guitars, so I thought I'd like an SG with hummers, which prompted my search. That said...

Here's my, new to me, 2016 Dave's Special Edition '61 SG reissue. I just found out about these by reading a review online by forum member Bob Womack who really liked his. So I searched one out, and with some luck, found this one. These special editions kind of blur the line between historic and USA models.

This one has a one piece body, Kluson single ring tuners, nickel hardware, a lightweight tail, and a ABR. The pickups are Classic and Classic+. Another great thing it balances well on the strap at 7lbs and with no neck dive. The only thing I didn't like was those weird USA reflector knobs which I changed with a set to the more vintage looking ones from Philadelphia Luthier supply.

As for sound, it's very balanced between pickups and the Classic 57s in this one sound good. What I mean by that is, I've a had few sets that I've really disliked, and two sets that I loved, and this is one of those sets. They are very articulate, a bit on the bright but not brittle side, which is good for me, because I'm a fingerstyle guy, more than a pick guy, and I like the brightness. They also seem to exhibit a slight very musical PAF style compression. I've only heard this is one other set of Classics before, and they were in an ES-335 that I wished I would have never sold! Also the Classic+ in the bridge is not too hot like I've heard some of them be. The tone and volumes controls work well with a nice taper.

I feel like I'm reviewing a new guitar because there's not a mark on it.

This is has a one piece body with some really nice figure! The rosewood on the fingerboard is on the darker side, and finished to a nice smoothness. The fretwork is good, with no file marks that I can see. I do need to polish the frets though, as I don't think this guitar was played much, and they are slightly tarnished. The neck size is what I call a medium C, which is my favorite size. I assumed it was going to be thinner because it's a USA model, but this one is very similar to my Historic SG Special.

Another great thing, after stretching the strings, it stayed right in tune with intonation that was close to perfect!

So, I am pleasantly surprised by this USA model SG. Dave came up with a great run with these SGs.

I would definitely recommend chasing one of these down if you're looking for a nice SG that won't break the bank. I paid $1500

Last edited:

Zepnut

Congrats on your new 61 SG! I'm lucky enough to have blundered into one of these last year at a store that had it advertised as an "SG Standard". There wasn't a mark on it, and the plastic film was still on the neck tenon cover. As you said, the Classic and Classic+ 57s sound fantastic in these Dave's special runs, growly and with a nice upper midrange bite that cuts through nicely in a band mix.
It's taken the place onstage of my '58 historic Les Paul, which I still love dearly, but just sounds a little "sludgy" compared to this gem.
I was afraid I wouldn't bond with the neck shape after being so used to the club on the Les Paul, but I actually think the neck is perfect, and feels just right in my hand. What attracted me to this one also was the perfect dark chocolate fretboard. Like yours, I had to polish the frets because it seemed the guitar hadn't been played much at all and just sat for a time.
It's been about 7 months since I got it, and I'm still a little giddy every time I pull it out of the case to play!
And don't hate me, but I was fortunate to get this one for $895. Enjoy, you have one of those extraordinary guitars that just pop out of the woodwork sometimes from Gibson!

fgbZcHq.jpg

Last edited:

AA00475Bassman

Love Sg Special's killer guitar Daves is a great place to buy ! Your SG is stellar, I had a 62 polaris white I traded for a black 64 Strat really bad trade ! I Believe the guitar is for sale on Reverb !

metaljake

This thing looks killer. Congrats! I love Dave's guitar shop. I've spent many afternoons in there playing different guitars. :)

rockabilly69

Congrats on your new 61 SG! I'm lucky enough to have blundered into one of these last year at a store that had it advertised as an "SG Standard". There wasn't a mark on it, and the plastic film was still on the neck tenon cover. As you said, the Classic and Classic+ 57s sound fantastic in these Dave's special runs, growly and with a nice upper midrange bite that cuts through nicely in a band mix.
It's taken the place onstage of my '58 historic Les Paul, which I still love dearly, but just sounds a little "sludgy" compared to this gem.
I was afraid I wouldn't bond with the neck shape after being so used to the club on the Les Paul, but I actually think the neck is perfect, and feels just right in my hand. What attracted me to this one also was the perfect dark chocolate fretboard. Like yours, I had to polish the frets because it seemed the guitar hadn't been played much at all and just sat for a time.
It's been about 7 months since I got it, and I'm still a little giddy every time I pull it out of the case to play!
And don't hate me, but I was fortunate to get this one for $895. Enjoy, you have one of those extraordinary guitars that just pop out of the woodwork sometimes from Gibson!

fgbZcHq.jpg
your experience sounds just like mine, and great deal for sure!!!!

rockabilly69

Very nice congrats!
thanks

Enjoy that SG! Bob
You know I will Bob!

Love Sg Special's killer guitar Daves is a great place to buy ! Your SG is stellar, I had a 62 polaris white I traded for a black 64 Strat really bad trade ! I Believe the guitar is for sale on Reverb !
Better go buy back your '62!!!

I get it - Daves Guitar Shop.
I thought it was some artist named Dave.
:)

This thing looks killer. Congrats! I love Dave's guitar shop. I've spent many afternoons in there playing different guitars. :)
I've never been there but bought a few guitars from him!

renderit

I got a white reissue from WW back a few years ago.

I like the red even better.

They really are very nice guitars.

The neck is more of an ES style with enough meat to satisfy but really nice on smaller hands.

A good SG is a joy to play!

And a welcome reprieve on your shoulder.