• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

How many of you top wrap your strings?

Tygr1

Do you wrap your strings over the stopbar? I can't stand having my tailpiece sitting way up in the air so that my strings will clear the back of the bridge.

Works for me. How do you restring your LP?

Iguana

I haven’t tried it on my 2013 standard. My tailpiece is as low as I can get it without the strings touching the back of the bridge (confirmed with a feeler gauge). It sounds like your guitar was a good candidate for it though. Some people top wrap for a slinkier feel but that doesn’t appeal to me either. I like having some tension to work against.

mdubya

Depends on the guitar. I do on some and don't on others.

metropolis

One I do, one I don’t. 2002 Standard is top wrapped, 2015 Deluxe is not.

Mars Hall

Yes, on all guitars that will allow it. I like the shallow break angle over the bridge.

frenchphil

i do on my 93 standard.never did on my former 96 studio. i wanted a shallow angle and couldnt get it unless i had to raise the tailpiece so high it would be pop out.

i guess it depends on the neck angle. so i had to top wrap said the luthier i took it to

kuwahara80

I top wrap on the guitars where the tailpiece is to high. When i can screw the tailpiece all the way down and the strings don`t touch the back of the abr, i don`t top wrap.

Texas Blues

The guitars I used to top wrap.

Are now Bigsbyficated.

And then theres my Junior.

And R4.

Both non Bigsbyficated.

The Jr. and R4 are like hot $1,000 a night.

Redhead Vegas hookers.

Showing up to the hotel room.

With a big bag of blow.

2 bottles of Hornitos tequila.

A shetland pony.

And a sack of In-N-Out Double Double's Animal Style.

The Bigsbyficated guitars....

Well...

Those are their tone dealing pimps!

Does that answer your question?

RicOkc

If the strings make contact with the back of the bridge I'll "top wrap".

cincyguitar

I did the top-wrap....my Lp did sound better...maybe a little more sustain...:hank

Curious Mike

LP I top wrap The BB, SG, Studio LP, and a 335. The LP Special bridge is down too close to top wrap or I would. I like less break angle for easier muting and I think easier bends too. I like how it looks but hate the way it leaves marks on the tail...