• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

PAF pu reading?

lare65

The neck PU on my -60 ES 335 sometimes read high when I check it with an multimeter? Can be as high as 13 KOhm and then when I turn the volume down (I check with a cable in to the output jack btw) and up again it reads normal 8.3 KOhm. Is it something wrong with the pot or can it be the PU itself? I cant hear any difference when playing though, its allways the same sound, a little bit to dark but 8.3 is on the high side.

I´m not so keen on messing with the pots because its untouched as is..

PaulD

It's unlikely that the pot could cause this, when you measure at the jack socket you are measuring the resistance of the pickup coil in parallel with the resistance of the volume pot. Parallel resistances can only ever be lower than the lower of the two resistances, which in this case is the pickup, a faulty pot could not cause the resistance to read higher than the actual pickup resistance, only lower. A faulty pickup or a faulty connection elsewhere could cause it but this would be likely so show up in other ways such as the guitar cutting out intermittently. It can sometimes be difficult to get a reliable connection between a meter probe and a jack plug so that is another possibility but to be honest if the guitar is working properly I would stop measuring it / worrying about it and just play it :)

Last edited:

lare65

It's unlikely that the pot could cause this, when you measure at the jack socket you are measuring the resistance of the pickup coil in parallel with the resistance of the volume pot. Parallel resistances can only ever be lower than the lower of the two resistances, which in this case is the pickup, a faulty pot could not cause the resistance to read higher than the actual pickup resistance, only lower. A faulty pickup or a faulty connection elsewhere could cause it but this would be likely so show up in other ways such as the guitar cutting out intermittently. It can sometimes be difficult to get a reliable connection between a meter probe and a jack plug so that is another possibility but to be honest if the guitar is working properly I would stop measuring it / worrying about it and just play it :)

Ok, thanks for your input! I will play it for sure.:)

lare65

Update: I took the toggle switch out and cleaned the contact surface with some 600 grit sandpaper. It now works like a charm :). The reading on the neck pu went down from 8.3 KOhm to 8.05 KOhm. More treble now = :salude.