• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1974 Les Paul Custom 20th - some input please

El Gringo

Thanks - it all helps.

The guitar has 45 years of cigarette smoke on it. I cleaned off the neck as it was a bit sticky and wow...a LOT of yellow came off. The binding whitened up a fair bit.

So - do I clean this thing properly, or just wipe off the real bad dirt and leave the nicotine everywhere? As mentioned, it does actually rub off onto my clothes it's that thick. I think that alone is pushing my towards a proper, but sympathetic clean. It's not like the old Jazzmaster I recently got, which has normal dirt on it....I can live with that and like the patina. This is another level. Interested in what you guys think.
My 2 cents is I like binding that has aged and yellowed . I don't like getting stains on my clothes from gunk and crap , so I would say clean it to get rid of the foreign substances .