• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Bare knuckles, Thobak and Rewind

JPP-1

I should leave well enough alone as I’m very happy with my humbucker guitars right now but i can’t seem to help being intrigued with some pickup options.

I was initially looking at Bare Knuckles and Thobaks but Ed A did a video with the Rewind PAF-1s and it sounded awesome so now I’m kinda leaning in that direction.

Any insights by those experienced with any of the above pickups would be appreciated.

duaneflowers

James at Rewind winds some magnificent pups... I especially love my Kalamazoo set and the vintage wire set he wound for my Shanks... if he has any of that old wire left it is definitely worth whatever he is charging for it nowadays. I have another old wire P90 set from him (with vintage mags as well) that rivals any vintage P90 set I have ever had the pleasure to have heard/played and would chose Rewind over Throwback or Bear Knuckles in a heartbeat... :salude

johnnyslim

I think all of the pickups winders mentioned are some of the best today. Word to the wise about Ed A...that guy will make any guitar and any pickup sound great. He is just one of those players. Ed and I have had discussions because he knows tone. We have had some good talks. I know he is big on Rewind Pickups so there must be something good happening there.

Last edited:

deytookerjaabs

From the few repro PAF types I've played I'd be more concerned with what flavor of 'bucker you're looking for first than the maker as there's a good bit of variation in how every winder can make the suckers sound.

El Gringo

I myself swear by ThroBak SLE-101 Plus and they are so good as I have them in 2 of my Les Paul's with 2 more Les Paul's to go .