• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Bare Knuckle Riff Raff vs. Throbak SLE 101 Plus

GotTheSilver

I have a guitar that sounds great in the high end, but could use a little help in the mids. I currently have a Throbak SLE 101 Plus in the bridge. I want to give the mids a boost without losing the nice sparkly high end I currently have. I have really been liking the Bare Knuckle Riff Raffs I have been hearing in videos. Anyone have experience with both pickups and can tell me how they are similar / different?

Any other pickups I should consider? I am also kind of intrigued by the Beast Buckers from Crazy Parts.

reswot

My best advice is to ask Jon at Throbak; he’ll steer you right. You might also,consider, though, the Throbak ER Custom with A5s, as it has a bit more midrange punch than the SLE-101 Plus.

GotTheSilver

My best advice is to ask Jon at Throbak; he’ll steer you right. You might also,consider, though, the Throbak ER Custom with A5s, as it has a bit more midrange punch than the SLE-101 Plus.

Reswot - thanks for the recommendation! I've checked out some videos on the Throbak ERs and they sound pretty good. But damn, his pickups are expensive!

El Gringo

My recommendation would be the ThroBak SLE-101 Plus as I have these in 2 of my Les Paul's and I will be putting them in my other 2 Les Paul's as well . Such nice tone and they do have the A5 magnets and they sound so good thru my high gain Marshall 2555X .I love these pickups so much .

GotTheSilver

My recommendation would be the ThroBak SLE-101 Plus as I have these in 2 of my Les Paul's and I will be putting them in my other 2 Les Paul's as well . Such nice tone and they do have the A5 magnets and they sound so good thru my high gain Marshall 2555X .I love these pickups so much .

I already have the SLE 101 Plus in my guitar. I am looking for a different pickup that helps fill in the midrange while not losing the great high end I have. I was curious if the BK Riff Raffs would give me more mids or if they would be about the same as the Throbaks.

corpse

Try popping a set of A4's in there. I wouldn't worry too much about who's magnets- it will sweeten things up in the middle. You might lose a few hz in the upper range but you will be happy. Other than removing the covers this is really simple surgery.

GotTheSilver

Try popping a set of A4's in there. I wouldn't worry too much about who's magnets- it will sweeten things up in the middle. You might lose a few hz in the upper range but you will be happy. Other than removing the covers this is really simple surgery.

Hmm, now I hadn't thought of that... :hmm

GotTheSilver

I found a used BK Riff Raff on Reverb for a good price, so I bought it. Will pop it in when I get it and see how it is.

mustachio

I already have the SLE 101 Plus in my guitar. I am looking for a different pickup that helps fill in the midrange while not losing the great high end I have. I was curious if the BK Riff Raffs would give me more mids or if they would be about the same as the Throbaks.

Tubescreamers help. I wouldn’t chase the dragon. I’ve been contemplating replacing my Wildwood Custombuckers in my new LP with Jon’s ESG-102Bs I just put in my ‘16 1961 SG Les Paul Reissue, but why have the same tone? Plus, wax potted custombuckers let me crank my Friedman. Plus, it’s a different flavor. We as guitar players get nutty and resist letting a good thing alone....because....maybe.....but, I have more regrets with the messing around I’ve done to perfectly fine guitars.