• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1986 Les Paul standard

1873Engraving

I recently picked up a 86 tobacco burst standard and I can’t find much info reagarding this year standard! Was the standard for 86 a low production guitar? Or just not many still around? Thanks

Big Al

Plenty made and sold. Not Tobacco I think they were Antique Sunburst. No mystery specs but some transitional overlap from previous three piece maple with volute/ one piece maple without volute and more common one piece hog neck with smaller SP6 headstock and nice rounded neck profiles. Nice guitars.

1873Engraving

Thank you.... this is my first older Gibson. Is 86 considered a Norlin guitar? Some say 83 is the last year. Thanks

marshall1987

If you get a good one, the mid-80s Les Paul Standards can be excellent guitars. I had a 1983 Les Paul Std. in tobacco sunburst and loved it. It featured the specs Big Al mentioned above including the "skinny" headstock, deep dish top, one-piece mahogany neck, two-piece matched maple top, Tim Shaw PAFs, Gen-2 Protector case, and most of the early 1959 "reissue" specs, but not the vintage serial number style.

In a momentary lapse of judgment I sold this guitar to a shark who flipped it on eBay. :dang