• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

My Next TB Replica...

Ed A

Really enjoyed working with Tom Bartlett in the past and look forward to the next replica I will be getting a little less than a year from now... Not interested in getting into the replica 'discussion' but this one will be stamped in the control cavity noting its a replica....

So here is my current replica, I specifically wanted big wide flame and a deeper burst, picked out the wood with Tom and absolutely love this guitar... have my real PAFs, tailpiece, centralabs, bees, pots, knobs and switchtip on it... weighs a hair over 8.5lbs and I look forward to playing it every day...

My next replica will be very different, lightly flamed with a faded honeyburst... the wood I picked out I wanted interesting vertical grain but not too strong and some mineral flecks but again not too strong... here is the maple (lightweight and rings beautifully)

.... so being that I cant wait to see what this next one is gonna look like and being that Im pretty good with photoshop, I took this piece of wood and put it together in photoshop.... the guitar doesnt exist yet but it will look a lot like this... two slightly different colorings... I'm psyched!

corpse

That will look spectacular Ed. I love the grain. Several like that in the new BBIV book.

JPP-1

Ed, that's a sweet top. It looks like Jimmy's #1 to me.

Ed A

Ed, that's a sweet top. It looks like Jimmy's #1 to me.

Yeah I didn’t think about that, it is a similar flame although his of course angles up from right to left. I was at his shop and went through probably nearly 100 boards and although there’s nothing spectacular about this board it’s the one that had everything I was looking for.

J.D.

Wow, you have some incredible Photoshop skills.

Anje

Ed, I clicked thinking I would discover a take on that Page #3 CAR top LP :)
Still looks like a great project :salude

rockabilly69

Ed if that top flame and finish looks like your photoshop job when done, it will be one sweet looking rig for sure!

Ed A

Ed,

Does this mean you're getting rid of the other BArtlett? ;)

Well that’s never the plan but over the last 25 years I’ve had well over 50 Les Paul’s come and go and the only one I’ve ever kept is my 1971 that I’ve had since 1974 for sentimental reasons. But the plan is to keep two of these because they will look different and compliment each other. And my current one, cherry burst, I do not want to play for outdoor shows because I don’t want the cherry to fade so having the second Bartlett gives me another one to choose from.

mistersnappy

. Not interested in getting into the replica 'discussion' but this one will be stamped in the control cavity noting its a replica....

So, some unknowing buyer in the future will open up the control cavity, probably *after* they have shelled out several thousand dollars, to find out it's not a Gibson. Doesn't sound like a "solution" to me. Not saying you wouldn't tell them what it really is, but who can speak for the second or third or fourth owner's honesty?

mdubya

That new top/guitar would be my perfect burst. I'd love to have that and a checked and greened darkback/Goldtop from TB.

JPP-1

So, some unknowing buyer in the future will open up the control cavity, probably *after* they have shelled out several thousand dollars, to find out it's not a Gibson. Doesn't sound like a "solution" to me. Not saying you wouldn't tell them what it really is, but who can speak for the second or third or fourth owner's honesty?

Ed has done is very good thing here. He has marked the inside of the pickup cavity so no one will shell out hundreds of thousands of dollars thinking it is a Burst.

If someone get's a Bartlett for the price of a used historic then they got a really good deal on what is most likely a great guitar. Furthermore, if they decide they must have a Gibson, they in all likelihood find plenty of buyers for the Bartlett. Hopefully what Ed has done here sets an example for future buyers.

Patek

You really think someone who is investing hundreds of thousands of dollars on a burst wouldn’t have the due diligence to have a look or request pics of inside the control cavity? Do me a favour mate!!!

unless you mean Gibson in general? In which case they will have gotten something far more valuable than a generic R9 !!! And could flip it for more than they would have paid otherwise once they found out what it was. Would be a dream come true to get a Bartlett for the price of a standard reissue

ourmaninthenorth

You really think someone who is investing hundreds of thousands of dollars on a burst wouldn’t have the due diligence to have a look or request pics of inside the control cavity? Do me a favour mate!!!

What you mean like Joe Ganzler did?

Do some reading.

I'll give you a clue... 9 1541....9 0623

Yeah these fakes are just fine....