• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

My Next TB Replica...

mistersnappy

You really think someone who is investing hundreds of thousands of dollars on a burst wouldn’t have the due diligence to have a look or request pics of inside the control cavity? Do me a favour mate!!!

unless you mean Gibson in general? In which case they will have gotten something far more valuable than a generic R9 !!! And could flip it for more than they would have paid otherwise once they found out what it was. Would be a dream come true to get a Bartlett for the price of a standard reissue

I just mean someone down the line who might be looking for a reissue and there is no guarantee that buyer will know or care about Bartlett but they *will* know what a Gibson is.

rockabilly69

I just mean someone down the line who might be looking for a reissue and there is no guarantee that buyer will know or care about Bartlett but they *will* know what a Gibson is.
If I bought what I thought was a Gibson R9, and know this, I LOVE Gibson guitars, and it turned out to be a Bartlett, I would be over the moon ecstatic!

Patek

Buying a standard R9 and then finding out it is a Bartlett would be winner winner chicken dinner, if it bothered you you could flip it for twice you would have paid for the R9

Ed A

I sold one of my Bartletts last year for $9500, so why would anyone 'down the line' WANT to pass it off as a historic, they're gonna screw themselves... and if someone buys a replica or for that matter a re-worked historic thinking its a REAL burst, well then that says more about the criminal who screwed them and the lack of thorough inspection by the buyer than it does whether it was a historic makeover or a replica... the reality is the vast majority of people buying historics OR replicas are not intending to deceive anyone at point of sale, and my replica will be marked so, in the cavity... and I thought I was gonna avoid this 'discussion' on this thread... oh well... :dang

GreenBurst

Ed has done is very good thing here. He has marked the inside of the pickup cavity so no one will shell out hundreds of thousands of dollars thinking it is a Burst.

If someone get's a Bartlett for the price of a used historic then they got a really good deal on what is most likely a great guitar. Furthermore, if they decide they must have a Gibson, they in all likelihood find plenty of buyers for the Bartlett. Hopefully what Ed has done here sets an example for future buyers.

Why should it be the buyers responsibility? I agree buyers should be upfront. But, the real responsibility is with the builder. In this case, Bartlett should be insisting on the cavity identification. Which I'm sure he is doing.