• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

AVRI: How do they age?

fakejake

While the AVRI series has unfortunately been discontinued, there are really nice deals on the used market.
The ones I've seen usually have the odd chip here and there, but I haven't seen any heavy wear yet.

To those of you that own one (any model): How did yours age? Any checking appearing? worn patches on the fretboard? Ambering of the lacquer or fading?

Would be awesome if they would age just like the ones from the 50ies and 60ies, but I guess thats not the case.

Anyways, I'd love to see pictures!! :photos

deytookerjaabs

While the AVRI series has unfortunately been discontinued, there are really nice deals on the used market.
The ones I've seen usually have the odd chip here and there, but I haven't seen any heavy wear yet.

To those of you that own one (any model): How did yours age? Any checking appearing? worn patches on the fretboard? Ambering of the lacquer or fading?

Would be awesome if they would age just like the ones from the 50ies and 60ies, but I guess thats not the case.

Anyways, I'd love to see pictures!! :photos

2011-2017 Pure Vintage "AVRI" guitars went "Thin Skin," meaning no poly base coat or poly sealers. That said, there are exceptions and I'm not too familiar with the early reissues. But, for instance I've had multiple 90's AVRI guitars that during their tenure with me were very durable/rugged in terms of finish. One '52 Tele and a '57 Strat. They did darken a bit which was crazy because the necks were tinted to begin with. Both mine were maple necks and had fairly robust coats of finish on the necks. I don't recall any checking or finger grooves, especially the Tele which I had for years and played the hell out of it. I did so thinking it would age like the old ones, nyet!

Whereas, I've had 3 "Pure Vintage" guitars and they'll ding if you look at them funny. 2 of them I had to let go but my '54 Strat reissue has some checking, many dings, and is getting some faint finger grooves in it already, a damn knob cracked too. It looked almost new when I got it, near unplayed, other than the finish was a bit sunken & maybe a few tiny bits of checking. It also has a lighter finish on the neck which is nice because an extra thick finish over small frets really takes away some playing surface, like bending on an old rickenbacker. If we ever get some sun maybe I can get a pic.

Playing wise you can't go wrong with any of them, but if you want to "break it in" I'd go "pure vintage."

Edit, Also, one of the Managers at Sam Ash told me he they were sick of having to discount/clear out the pure vintage guitars because they got dinged up so easily in the shop. They always had one or two on clearance when I was in there.

Last edited:

The Shifter

2016 AVRI 52 Tele. Been gigged a fair amount, seen a little travel.
Like so many of these, it kinda looks like a brand new guitar with a lot of paint chips. I don't expect to see much in the way of lacquer checking. Hell, the way this thing is going, there may not be any paint left to check!:laugh2:
Great playing and sounding guitar though.

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

BURSTGANG

Here is one [ AVRI 62 Fender Stratocaster in CAR ] I used to own................... VERY heavy wear from tons of gigs through the years. Case too!
un7OFhp.jpg
vH9WrqG.jpg
8GD6LCz.jpg
XZINQez.jpg
3leuqqA.jpg
y8uyXjo.jpg
z7bKvEu.jpg
ln5zA6i.jpg

Last edited:

sonar

Had an AVRI Strat that was on the price sheet, but with no real marketing behind it. I don't even recall it ever being in any of the catalogues? I had my old guitar dealer order it from Fender after seeing one at my former Luthier's shop. V neck maple board, blonde (translucent white probably like an old Mary Kay right after it came out of the factory) over an ash body with some nice figuring. It was a real looker.

Turns out I hate V neck Strats, or at least that guitar's V profile, so it mostly sat for a few years before I sold it. It never yellowed or faded, basically looked like it did the day I sold it as it did the day I bought it.

Bruce R

A good buddy of mine bought an AVRI 2-tone Strat when it was new and the thing looks as aged as any original one I've ever seen. He's played the heck out of it - the neck has yellowed, the fretboard has worn through, the body is worn. You'd swear it was an original one that was played hard and put away wet!