• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Les Paul tone, Strat tone - best examples?

Gadsden

Right on!
I learned something new.

I had always figured Sultans of Swing was done on a Strat because it was performed before Knopfler and the band were so big. I did not know where his relationship with the guys in New York started up.
However, when they were riding high in the 80s it seems as though I was constantly seeing Pensa connected to Knopler’s name. Videos on MTV, live pics and such.
I figured there was some endorsement or legal or handshake deal involved.

Oh, how much easier the internet has made this nowadays!

Gadsden

...continued.... Mike Bloomfield
It’s been several years ago now, but I will never forget the first time I heard Mike Bloomfield playing on SiriusXM - I thought it was Jimmy Page and some obscure studio work or a rare Led Zeppelin bootleg.
I mean, I had heard of him all my life. I knew he was highly regarded.
Had heard some of his work here and there.
This particular song was Going Down Slow by Electric Flag.

He was definitely ahead of his time.
What a phenomenal player, and an interesting character.
I even bought his biography, and it is a book I would recommend to anyone. Inspired me to consider at length what would’ve happened to him without the drugs.
I don’t know, some people are just different enough that their flame just doesn’t burn very long anyway.

brandtkronholm

...continued. Don't want to forget Mike Bloomfield:

...I will never forget the first time I heard Mike Bloomfield playing on SiriusXM - I thought it was Jimmy Page and some obscure studio work or a rare Led Zeppelin bootleg.
I mean, I had heard of him all my life. I knew he was highly regarded.

Bloomfield's 'Burst tone is what I think of as the canonical/archetypal example of 'Burst tone.

Here's a lesson in lead: (If I'm not mistaken, he's using a couple of Fender (Black or Silver) face Twins.)

And from the same show, a lesson rhythm: (Stay tuned for the mini lead at the end. Yet another lesson in "How to use the knobs and switch on your Les Paul."

I'll have to think about Fender (Strat) tone and save it for another post...