• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

i think the stock abr-1 is a big weak link ....

Dr. Green

I don't know if I am buying the metallurgy and mechanical construction used on the reissue abr-1

I replaced the stock unit that came with my historic 57 black beauty with a unit from Germany that was milled from a solid billet of bell brass and the improvement is astounding.

I am thinking much of the tone is being sucked out by the metal used in the body of the stock bridge

here is a photo of the bridge I am talking about from ABM Germany

anyone else purchase this piece - I think its a much bigger upgrade than doing the mapleshade mod

ABM_Les_Paul_Bridges_032FIN.jpg

El Gringo

I don't know if I am buying the metallurgy and mechanical construction used on the reissue abr-1

I replaced the stock unit that came with my historic 57 black beauty with a unit from Germany that was milled from a solid billet of bell brass and the improvement is astounding.

I am thinking much of the tone is being sucked out by the metal used in the body of the stock bridge

here is a photo of the bridge I am talking about from ABM Germany

anyone else purchase this piece - I think its a much bigger upgrade than doing the mapleshade mod

ABM_Les_Paul_Bridges_032FIN.jpg

why are 3 thumbwheels stacked on top of each other ?

Dr. Green

no - I am using the single thin brass thumbwheels - with brass posts like this:

ABM_TOM_Historic_Gold_productdetail.jpg

what you are seeing i believe is a special nashville to abr-1 wheel he makes

the AMB bridge I have comes in aluminum or brass - I have brass

extreme improvement in the mids and bass with the historic taking on more of a semi hollowbody richness
unbelievable woody character - it now kills 2017 / 2007 r8 resissues I had as well as a 2013/ 2003 57 goldtops

bridge pup ice pick hardness or shrillness is gone - bass is silly good - highs rolled back but very sweet - needs a bump in treble on amp -improved sustain - great mid range honk - more 3D then stock which you may or may not like

acoustically the guitar is now almost twice as loud and vibrates like a tuning fork - even with the titebond glue and truss rod condom as I have a pre 2013 model

its sound a little different now - more modern maybe … might not be the worst way to spend a 100 bucks if you have several guitars you could try it on

would love to know what others think of it - I have on a blonde bassman 6g6-b clone thru a vintage EVF 12 L speaker into pine cab

cant say anything about high grain marsall or metal tones but I bet they are killer too …….

(I would never stack 3 wheels - that's funny )