• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Billy Squier Bursts

BSeneca

Was watching old school videos from my high school MTV days. Lonely is the night live. Billy has a very vibrant at the time 58 or 59. I had heard he had multiple bursts and at least one was stolen. Looks like he has another one now. Anyone have information on his bursts. Tasty understated player. GREAT songwriting. Thanks in advance, Brian

marfen

His lead player Jeff Golub was amazing. Billy has great taste in guitars and is another great carrier of the (burst) flame. I appreciate his contributions to Vic's books.

Daytripper67

Was watching old school videos from my high school MTV days. Lonely is the night live. Billy has a very vibrant at the time 58 or 59. I had heard he had multiple bursts and at least one was stolen. Looks like he has another one now. Anyone have information on his bursts. Tasty understated player. GREAT songwriting. Thanks in advance, Brian

8 5394 was stolen and still missing.
8 5673 & 9 0533, 9 1880 are in BB IV.

BSeneca

Thank you sir. Was amazed at how much color was in the burst then I realized.......it was 38 YEARS AGO! How is that even possible!?

Midnight Blues

His lead player Jeff Golub was amazing. Billy has great taste in guitars and is another great carrier of the (burst) flame. I appreciate his contributions to Vic's books.

What a tasteful player he was. R.I.P. Jeff.

Musicman

Thank you sir. Was amazed at how much color was in the burst then I realized.......it was 38 YEARS AGO! How is that even possible!?

I know what you mean. It's like dog years, one year equals seven gone by the older we get! :dang

johnnyslim

Not to hijack this thread.

I saw Billy Squire several times but always as an opening band. Always good and always rocked usually on a Telecaster, LP Special or a Burst. Jeff Golub was his guitar player. Jeff had a great jazz band Avenue Blue which was a great blend of jazz and bluesy guitar. Saw Avenue Blue a few times in Dallas. Great band and great player. I may be wrong but I seem to remember Jeff had an eye disease and went blind before his untimely passing.

Avenue Blue is well worth checking out for a good mix of jazz and bluesy guitar playing.

Last edited:

Midnight Blues

What! I didn’t know Jeff died! How and when! Loved his playing.

Sorry BS, just seeing you response now. Yes unfortunately he did. He had a couple of health related issues, but passed away as a result of a brain disease called Progressive Supranuclear Palsy in 2015. He had lost his eyesight prior to that. Really a shame.

I've listened to him for years and got to see him only once (not too far from you if I remember correctly?) at Glenora Wine Cellars back in '07. Great show and equally GREAT guy! Met him after the show, chatted, took pictures with him and he signed some autographs for us. I got mine on his CD "Nightlife", which was the first CD I bought of his back in '97, pretty much based off the cover, but once I heard it, I was hooked! Big fan ever since.

BSeneca

Sorry BS, just seeing you response now. Yes unfortunately he did. He had a couple of health related issues, but passed away as a result of a brain disease called Progressive Supranuclear Palsy in 2015. He had lost his eyesight prior to that. Really a shame.

I've listened to him for years and got to see him only once (not too far from you if I remember correctly?) at Glenora Wine Cellars back in '07. Great show and equally GREAT guy! Met him after the show, chatted, took pictures with him and he signed some autographs for us. I got mine on his CD "Nightlife", which was the first CD I bought of his back in '97, pretty much based off the cover, but once I heard it, I was hooked! Big fan ever since.

Thats actually not near me. I live in Harrisburg Pa. But ironically my wife and I visit the Finger Lakes regularly. We started going as a whim for our anniversary because of Seneca Lake. I would always pull out my license and show the wineries. I would ask if i got a discount on the wine. They would say "wow thats really cool, but no" Any how my name is Calabrese not Indian but spelled the same!

marfen

I was checking out one of Squier's Lonely is the NIght live videos and was blown away by Jeff's solo work .

Midnight Blues

Thats actually not near me. I live in Harrisburg Pa. But ironically my wife and I visit the Finger Lakes regularly. We started going as a whim for our anniversary because of Seneca Lake. I would always pull out my license and show the wineries. I would ask if i got a discount on the wine. They would say "wow thats really cool, but no" Any how my name is Calabrese not Indian but spelled the same!

For some reason when we were corresponding through one of the threads way-back-when, I thought you had mentioned that you were from that area? It's horrible getting old!

Beautiful part of New York State/the country for sure! Glenora is a great place to see a concert, especially on a beautiful day.

Here's few pictures of Jeff (hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread for a moment?) that my brother in-law took from that day:

24uMRwI.jpg

2HpbwIo.jpg

This one I had in my office for years while I was still working:

d5OqUOG.jpg

He really knew how to play!

BTW, being an Italian/American, Calabrese certainly sounds Italian to me!

Saluti!

Midnight Blues

I was checking out one of Squier's Lonely is the NIght live videos and was blown away by Jeff's solo work .

Great player for sure. Did a lot with pentatonics, but he had more of a jazzy feel (to me anyway) to his playing.