• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Who makes a great JTM 45 in 2019?

Thundermtn

It's time to get a proper rock amp. I want a JTM 45 but with not being able to play or find a Marshall re-issue locally and with several people making their own version I wanted to get some opinions on what is currently available. I have my eye on a Germino as well but from what I'm hearing in clips it may be a little more gainy than what the real deal is, clips aren't a fantastic way to hear anything though so I'm not sure how true it would compare to the real deal. I can probably build from a kit also if anyone has one they think is really good. Must be new as I can't afford vintage anything, and used is too big of a gamble for the money on how it was treated in it's previous life.

Any suggestions about what to be on the hunt for? Either a head of combo will work, a master volume would be really nice to have also. Thanks

brandtkronholm

This is it:

https://reverb.com/item/17164161-blockhead-63-split-front-early-jtm-45-2001-2002-black-white-tolex

No master Volume.

Buy it before I do.
(There were two of these for sale on Reverb a month ago...now just one.)

rvfmygjcbpwg0njladqy.jpg

usahvn6jrwrgg3mxv4jq.jpg

Thundermtn

That one's a no go, used and almost twenty years old with an eighteen hour drive to go get it.

mustachio

I bought a a Friedman Dirty Shirley 40 Combo with the three way gain selector mini switch. All JTM goodness none of crappy vibrato channel. Awesome.

thejaf

I don't know if you've ever played a non-master tube rectified amp before for rock music, but I highly recommend you try before you buy.

90% of what I played for the last 30 years has been classic rock, hard rock and some blues. Tube rectified has never given me the tight response and thump that I prefer when I play non-master volume amps. For some it works, but not me.

You could always convert JTM45 to solid state rectifier and tighten up values in the phase inverter, but then you'd be better off just getting a 1987 style from the beginning.

kats

Metropoulos Amplification are the most authentic and highest quality. Back in the day you could buy parts from him and I built one. Not the best for the most heavy style, but otherwise still in the ball park. The most versatile would be a kit and build a JTM50 watt. El34s, 470 screen resistors, stiffer filtering, and a different OP TX. More of the quintessential Marshall sound. Personally I don't like that much gain and prefer the JTM45. Check out his website for the different amps - he would do any mods you preferred, I'm sure.

Here's a couple of iPhone clips of my JTM45

I should add, clip 1 is at 1/2 volume with the amp biased slightly cold and clip 2 was at 3/4 volume with the amp biased hot.

Last edited:

pippo

http://valvestorm.com/JTM45 Kit

This place pretty much took over after george (of Metroamp) stopped offering kits. I have an JTM45 built by the barebones stuff from valvestorm - caps, and transformers from elsewhere. Probably my favourite amp. Also have a JTM100 (blackflag mongrel, JTM100 spec, el34 but single rect and 8can filters) built on the foundation of one of geroges old kits. Also a stunning amp but a whole different ballgame than the jtm45.

Thejaf makes a wise point on trying a JTM45 before you buy depending on what and how you play the "flubby" bottomend might not be your cup of tea.

If kits are not your thing ive heard great things about germino amps. Might give george at metropolous a shot to see if a custom order would be possible? Or watch the classifieds on the metroforum for a built amp?

thin sissy

Metropoulos Amplification are the most authentic and highest quality. Back in the day you could buy parts from him and I built one. Not the best for the most heavy style, but otherwise still in the ball park. The most versatile would be a kit and build a JTM50 watt. El34s, 470 screen resistors, stiffer filtering, and a different OP TX. More of the quintessential Marshall sound. Personally I don't like that much gain and prefer the JTM45. Check out his website for the different amps - he would do any mods you preferred, I'm sure.

Here's a couple of iPhone clips of my JTM45

I should add, clip 1 is at 1/2 volume with the amp biased slightly cold and clip 2 was at 3/4 volume with the amp biased hot.
I also built one of his kits back in 2008 I think. It's a great amp, but after a while a half stack JTM45 was too much of a hazzle to gig with I thought :laugh2: . Still have the amp though.

I think it's a great rock/blues sound, but yeah it's not tight like a 1959 SL. IMHO the JTM45 works best with P-90's or Tele's, but that's just taste :salude

sonar

If you're up for it I'd consider building a kit from Valvestorm.

Thundermtn

I don't know if you've ever played a non-master tube rectified amp before for rock music, but I highly recommend you try before you buy.

90% of what I played for the last 30 years has been classic rock, hard rock and some blues. Tube rectified has never given me the tight response and thump that I prefer when I play non-master volume amps. For some it works, but not me.

You could always convert JTM45 to solid state rectifier and tighten up values in the phase inverter, but then you'd be better off just getting a 1987 style from the beginning.

I've been on a vintage Plexi before but not with enough time and tweaking to know what the amp would really do.

With my Mesa I'm in silicone diode 100% so I know my ear prefers it tighter. I just need to find one to play, I want a classic tone so flub may be part of the ticket for what I'm looking for, I don't really know yet.

Thanks for the advice.

Thundermtn

Kats,

The hotter second clip is right up my alley, I'll check that stuff out. Thanks

kats

No problem. I should add that the cab was loaded with Celestian Heritage G12M 20watt speakers (although I really like the new "plain" g12M 25 watt). Also I attenuated the signal quite a bit which took up some of the top end. In the flesh it is a bit harsher than the clip but slightly less mud in the lower mids.

Oh yeah, I modified it with 470k mix resistors instead of the 270k. Less bright/harsh. (EDIT forgot why I subbed the 470's in, it actually tightened up the bottom end a bit and amp feels slightly stiffer. Cork sniffing really, I think the stock version is the way to go).

Last edited:

Thundermtn

Cool. Interesting on the speakers. Those are my favorite flavor of greenback from the clips available on Celestion's site, they sound great in your video too.