• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Help identifying this 2012 LP?

redarray

I've been playing guitar for over 25 years now but am new to Les Paul's and to this forum. I am hoping to change that soon. I found a 2012 (dated by serial #) guitar that the owner describes as a "Les Paul studio T" but I was under the impression that this model didn't exist until 2016.

Further description: Weight 8lbs 9.5oz,
It has 490R / 498T pickup split... Traditional Kluson Tulip tuners... 12 radius neck..same neck profile as a 2011 Les Paul Studio.. Slightly chunky... And it has quick connect electronics. Current owner got it in a trade.

Is it possible this is just a regular 2012 LP Studio? Or possibly someone has put a studio truss rod onto a different model? I haven't seen black with white trim LP studios before but I suppose the trim could have been customized? Any help is appreciated! Pics attached.

Red

00Q0Q_6IP5NAU9sXc_1200x900.jpg00Y0Y_M7g90dqRov_1200x900.jpg

Zentar

I have a very similar 2009 black studio yet mine weighs more than a pound less than yours. Studios are typically lighter than LP Standards because they have thinner bodies. I'm miffed how yours could weigh 8lbs 9 ozs which is in line with what the typical Standard weighs with its thicker body.
That is definitely a Studio

I'm not sure what your question is.

Perhaps the Studio T model has a mid fifties thick neck as opposed to the typical Studio which has a slim 60s neck? I've seen virtually every color for the plastic "trim"; even brown.

Last edited:

Big Al

I have a very similar 2009 black studio yet mine weighs more than a pound less than yours. Studios are typically lighter than LP Standards because they have thinner bodies. I'm miffed how yours could weigh 8lbs 9 ozs which is in line with what the typical Standard weighs with its thicker body.
That is definitely a Studio

I'm not sure what your question is.

Perhaps the Studio T model has a mid fifties thick neck as opposed to the typical Studio which has a slim 60s neck? I've seen virtually every color for the plastic "trim"; even brown.

Miffed? Most non chambered Studios seem to fall right in line with this one. 7lbs 9 oz is hardly a typical weight for a non chambered Studio. I've handled many over 9lbs and like all the various Standard Models there is a wide range of weights depending upon the various weight relief schemes, or lack of, or the chambered build which typically shows greatest weight reduction, all of which are dependent upon the weight and density of the donor wood.

Most non weight relieved Standards hover closer to 10lbs than 8, but that is most on average and many find lighter examples as average is a range determined from large samples and not an absolute.

I'm sure if you need to escape your state of miffishness and look around you could easily find a miffless 8 1/2 lber to demiffilate. No one should have to endure the miffs!