• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NGD! Gibson 1962 LG-1 for fun

Patek

I’d been looking for a relatively inexpensive but old characterful acoustic guitar to have in the living room just for picking up and playing around with for fun. Something light and easy that can move from room to room, something I don’t have to fire up the rig in order to play etc. I’m not an acoustic player and I’ve often had nice acoustics and ended up selling them on because I couldn’t justify them but by the same token I always craved the tone. They were always too nice to be left out and about so ended up staying in the case. So I want something without any worries about finger prints or dings, light and easy going, inexpensive to an extent but still of a quality and look that I would enjoy playing regularly.

i received this email from lucky-fret in London the other week, a store I haven’t yet had the pleasure of visiting but had planned to one day, but somehow I’m on their mailing list so I must have bought a pedal or something online from them in the past

35-E972-F1-005-E-4-DBE-91-B9-668-EF3-FA98-AA.jpg

DD6-AD04-B-6-AD3-4-A11-BC88-B83-B74878-E82.jpg

019-CF8-B9-16-CB-4-D84-A458-C70-E2-C5-D0-CF9.jpg

it looked great and I thought it looks like just the ticket! but I soon forgot about it as I was on a training course for 4 days solid and very busy with work.

Anyhow the weekend after, my wife wanted to go and pickup a jacket she ordered from a store in spittalfields market on the weekend. We picked up the jacket then we decided to go to brick lane for the famous salt beef bagels.

We started walking up to brick lane and all of a sudden I saw the store sign for lucky-fret! I had no idea it was in this exact spot!

I started getting excited and said to my wife please can we see if they’re still open ?!? It was 5:50 and they close at 6:00 !
I had no intent specifically to buy anything, but I just wanted to see the store as they have some beautiful vintage fenders in stock; museum pieces.

i walked in and went to the basement where the vintage stuff is.

There it was on the wall, the acoustic that caught my eye in the email add. It looked absolutely perfect. Beautiful gentle patina and like a work of art, the real ‘vintage’ deal.

the store clerk got all excited as he said it was one of his favourite guitars they have in the store. He played one chord and basically I had already 90% decided I was going to get it. It sounded exactly like the sort of tone I was after, punchy and bluesy, just from that 1 chord. The final test would be weight and feel/action

well it was setup like a dream, very low action with no buzz across the neck, the whole thing beautifully vibrates across the body.

The intonation was also just amazing for what was an entry level Gibson at that time. It was immaculate with any chord across the neck. I was very impressed. In terms of weight, it couldn’t be more than a couple of lb. it’s small and a short 24.75 scale so it’s easy to handle and grab and pass around, which was one of my main intents.

Looked great with the dark brazilian rosewood board, sounded amazing with the new handmade ebony bridge replacement (original plastic in the case). Played super fast with low action on its razor blade 1962 profile neck. Ultra light.

8-E032-E10-C34-C-4314-8575-F701681-A5829.jpg

B9-EB0-DF9-56-EB-4-B4-B-8-EC0-ACFB2795-D174.jpg

BA0-F77-B1-1-C83-491-E-B4-ED-7-E0-C73-BD5-E95.jpg

DBF82-AD7-8782-40-A5-A4-C0-AD325-C545810.jpg

EBE47-A5-E-F060-43-EB-83-A3-94125-E0587-A9.jpg

DEBE4-BC0-5817-4593-8-D1-C-A0778-F756106.jpg

My wife said she thought it sounded amazing and looked great, and definitely I should buy it.

7-D212-A67-8-AEF-4488-83-B0-F0-A131-B3-C33-D.jpg

we agreed a very good price and now it’s at home and I’m playing it more than my electrics !

musekatcher

I love these. I've got an identical, that I added a square rw bridge, replaced maple bridgeplate, added x-bracing and replaced with a smaller tear drop pickguard. It had to be rebraced, after the back had to be removed for some repair. I kinda wish we'd gone back with ladder bracing. I think mine is a 61 or 62. I've got a 49 LG2 that was Dads too. I really think these are some of the best proportioned, most handsome Gibson flattops made. Congrads!