The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Les Paul Forum Member

Re: Joe B.ís ultimate guitar safari...introducing The Bosco Burst!

Quote Originally Posted by CDaughtry View Post
    Or the "Fuck you!" burst. That could be a middle finger...
    thats what i thought! the guitar is a rebel!

Look at the clip on the pickguard and then shoot yourself the bird in a mirror. I think youíll figure it out then.

Or alternatively the Birdburst........there's a nice bit of alliteration with that.

With respect, Having never been in the same room as a burst I wonder, the more bursts you play, do you discover how similar they all are or how different they all are to each other? Visual differences aside, talking sound and feel. Just saw the video of Joe on facebook playing Bosco for the first time prompted me to ask.

Another nice find. Congrats Joe!

Wow, love that colour!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonkoi View Post
    With respect, Having never been in the same room as a burst I wonder, the more bursts you play, do you discover how similar they all are or how different they all are to each other? Visual differences aside, talking sound and feel. Just saw the video of Joe on facebook playing Bosco for the first time prompted me to ask.

Different in feel, operation(when you're trying to find the 'sweet spot' in each one) and sound in some or most cases.
    Pretty much the same as playing a number of acoustic guitars of the same make and model from different years.

Super nice color on that one! It will only sound better after some stage time.

I don't see the tailpiece ground wire or the hole from the cavity. Did somebody remove the ground and the hole is not visible in the photo?

Quote Originally Posted by sws1 View Post
    What amp is he playing? Nice sound.

Les Paul Forum Member joemags54's Avatar

I'm waiting to give Joe that pleasure. Hell...the hunt is half the fun!
    It's been a while since I've visited here... However I am quite familiar with this story, as part of the "safari" , is a connection here on Long Island, NY. ......And out of an incredible abundance of respect for Mr. B. I also, will wait for him to tell the story.
    Just an amazing instrument.. Congrat's Mr. Bonamassa!
    "Big time Bill. Big time. Big time.".... Ronnie Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by lare65 View Post
    What amp is he playing? Nice sound.
    It looks like the old Deluxe he uses a lot in his demos at home. It's been painted black.

He did say somewhere what year it was, I think he said 1955 and that it has a 70's blackback Celestion G12M fitted.

Then again, I could be wrong!

Rob.
    -----------------
    Rob Livesey
    Manchester, UK

Les Paul Forum Member PabloHarlem's Avatar

13 gauge strings on an old Guitar..... wow.

Too heavy for me.!
    Cheers,
    Les Paul Deluxe was my first serious guitar, age 16 yrs old purchased out of a guys car for $300 (pounds) in 1980, Leeds UK.

Quote Originally Posted by rob livesey View Post
    It looks like the old Deluxe he uses a lot in his demos at home. It's been painted black.

He did say somewhere what year it was, I think he said 1955 and that it has a 70's blackback Celestion G12M fitted.

Then again, I could be wrong!

Rob.
    Yeah, I think you are right!

How many Bursts does Joe have now? I know he moved a couple along when he got Amos and another early V (I think...)
    so I lost count.
    How many guitars total (roughly) and how many amps?
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Quote Originally Posted by sws1 View Post
    Damn that sounds good!

on the middle & bridge pickup of my L.P. Custom

Quote Originally Posted by agogetr View Post
    flatwounds.. this guy was old school. prolly more into chet than bloomfield. seems like a lot of 58's look really cool! to me anyway. is it a 58?
    They all came stock with Flatwounds in the Fifties!

Quote Originally Posted by TM1 View Post
    They all came stock with Flatwounds in the Fifties!

As I remember reading many years ago George and John would put flatwounds on their guitars when recording........don't know if their was any truth to that or not but their recorded sound was good and clean for sure.

Wow, Sweet Burst, those PAFs sound really full throated. Itís so good seeing these great instruments go to someone who will play them and in JBsís case play them very very well.

ďI just happened to have some spare tuners in my spare tire kit.Ē Lol The vintage guitar McGuyver.

Man, such a cool guitar. I canít even imagine. I wonder how much time passed between Joe getting word on this guitar and pulling into the guys driveway? Congrats on another insanely awesome guitar.

on the middle & bridge pickup of my L.P. Custom

Quote Originally Posted by goldtop0 View Post
    As I remember reading many years ago George and John would put flatwounds on their guitars when recording........don't know if their was any truth to that or not but their recorded sound was good and clean for sure.
    Yes they did! They used strings provided by Selmer's which were actually Pyramid's. Pyramid's are made in Germany. Some of the Gibson Strings were made by Pyramid as well. there's documentation at the Pyramid Factory from Gibson, Gretsch & Guild Guitars that show order's for 1,000's of sets during the `50's & `60's into the mid- `70's. any string labeled "Selmer" sold in the U.K. was made by Pyramid!

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TM1 View Post
    Yes they did! They used strings provided by Selmer's which were actually Pyramid's. Pyramid's are made in Germany. Some of the Gibson Strings were made by Pyramid as well. there's documentation at the Pyramid Factory from Gibson, Gretsch & Guild Guitars that show order's for 1,000's of sets during the `50's & `60's into the mid- `70's. any string labeled "Selmer" sold in the U.K. was made by Pyramid!
    I have sets of Gibson strings [from the 60's, maybe 50's] marked made in Germany.
    Pauls to the walls!

HŁter der Flammen!

PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

Les Paul Forum Member JBLPplayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jrgtr42 View Post
    How many Bursts does Joe have now? I know he moved a couple along when he got Amos and another early V (I think...)
    so I lost count.
    How many guitars total (roughly) and how many amps?
    I own 12 of them now. The Bosco Burst is a great guitar that I purchased from the original owner in Melbourne Florida. Al and his brother Frank bought the guitar in 1959 from their guitar teacher in New York. After Frank passed Al held the guitar until this year and finally decided to sell it. A friend of Al’s suggested that he contact me about possibly purchasing it. He reached out to Norm at Norman’s Rare Guitars and Norm called me. I spoke to Al via telephone for a few weeks and agreed on a price and arranged to drive down from Nashville to Melbourne Florida a few weeks ago. Three things that I love about this guitar. The Color, The Sound and most importantly I made a new friend in Al Bosco. I had to pay a lot of money for this guitar. There are no deals on this kind of stuff especially uncirculated and an original owner. The deciding factor for me was that I really liked Al as person and knew how hard a process this was for him to finally let it go. It’s 8.4 pounds of Les Paul goodness that I am blessed to own. Didn’t need a screw driver to tell this guitar was right. It revealed itself when the case opened. Joe B
    PS: The original photos in black and white helped too.
    Last edited by JBLPplayer; 02-19-19 at 01:26 AM.

Les Paul Forum Member AA00475Bassman's Avatar

Cool story , Glad to see JB owning this guitar . The guitar Ambassador Joe is the guy !!!
    Ive never confused owning a bunch of high end gear with being some kind of a guitar player I'm a hack and I love guitars !

He thinks the mirror is a photo of a clown ?

The Myth: Neat wiring layouts always equate to great-sounding amps.

Quote Originally Posted by JBLPplayer View Post
    I own 12 of them now. The Bosco Burst is a great guitar that I purchased from the original owner in Melbourne Florida. Al and his brother Frank bought the guitar in 1959 from their guitar teacher in New York. After Frank passed Al held the guitar until this year and finally decided to sell it. A friend of Alís suggested that he contact me about possibly purchasing it. He reached out to Norm at Normanís Rare Guitars and Norm called me. I spoke to Al via telephone for a few weeks and agreed on a price and arranged to drive down from Nashville to Melbourne Florida a few weeks ago. Three things that I love about this guitar. The Color, The Sound and most importantly I made a new friend in Al Bosco. I had to pay a lot of money for this guitar. There are no deals on this kind of stuff especially uncirculated and an original owner. The deciding factor for me was that I really liked Al as person and knew how hard a process this was for him to finally let it go. Itís 8.4 pounds of Les Paul goodness that I am blessed to own. Didnít need a screw driver to tell this guitar was right. It revealed itself when the case opened. Joe B
    Congratulation to a spectacular find!! Great story and I agree on the colour, magical! And the sound in your hands too..

Les Paul Forum Member MapleFlame's Avatar

I own 12 of them now. The Bosco Burst is a great guitar that I purchased from the original owner in Melbourne Florida. Al and his brother Frank bought the guitar in 1959 from their guitar teacher in New York. After Frank passed Al held the guitar until this year and finally decided to sell it. A friend of Alís suggested that he contact me about possibly purchasing it. He reached out to Norm at Normanís Rare Guitars and Norm called me. I spoke to Al via telephone for a few weeks and agreed on a price and arranged to drive down from Nashville to Melbourne Florida a few weeks ago. Three things that I love about this guitar. The Color, The Sound and most importantly I made a new friend in Al Bosco. I had to pay a lot of money for this guitar. There are no deals on this kind of stuff especially uncirculated and an original owner. The deciding factor for me was that I really liked Al as person and knew how hard a process this was for him to finally let it go. Itís 8.4 pounds of Les Paul goodness that I am blessed to own. Didnít need a screw driver to tell this guitar was right. It revealed itself when the case opened. Joe B
    It reminds me of the dark burst Koss played on Mr. Big video. Enjoy in good health. Bout to go up to Adirondacks to Snowmobile/Ski. N.Y. pride.
    Top carves are sexy

Thanks Joe!
    Pauls to the walls!

HŁter der Flammen!

Les Paul Forum Member

12 bursts! id be guilty as charged too if i had the scratchorama. i saw joe do a rig rundown and he banged some chords out with a burst through his dumbles and !!!!! man even through my 16 dollar headphones.. thick lush awesome crunchy goodness. just flat killer tone. when he combines those with his signature twins i think he has about the best tone goin. imao (in my arrogant opinion)

I own 12 of them now.
    Maybe this is a rude and out of order, please tell me in that case, but is the 12:

9-0378, 9-0829, 9-0917, 9-1948, 9-1951, 0-0162, 0-1491, 0-7171, 0-7452, 0-7453, 0-8089 and 0-8145?
    Last edited by viper007; 02-20-19 at 02:03 PM.

Honestly, just from that small clip on instagram I get the feeling that this burst sounds really really darn good. Congrats!
    - 2006 Les Paul Historic R4 Oxblood
    - 2012 ES-330TDVB
    - 1995 Les Paul Studio Ebony with B7 Bigsby

There is NO substitute for Loudness.

Les Paul Forum Member joemags54's Avatar

I own 12 of them now. The Bosco Burst is a great guitar that I purchased from the original owner in Melbourne Florida. Al and his brother Frank bought the guitar in 1959 from their guitar teacher in New York. After Frank passed Al held the guitar until this year and finally decided to sell it. A friend of Al’s suggested that he contact me about possibly purchasing it. He reached out to Norm at Norman’s Rare Guitars and Norm called me. I spoke to Al via telephone for a few weeks and agreed on a price and arranged to drive down from Nashville to Melbourne Florida a few weeks ago. Three things that I love about this guitar. The Color, The Sound and most importantly I made a new friend in Al Bosco. I had to pay a lot of money for this guitar. There are no deals on this kind of stuff especially uncirculated and an original owner. The deciding factor for me was that I really liked Al as person and knew how hard a process this was for him to finally let it go. It’s 8.4 pounds of Les Paul goodness that I am blessed to own. Didn’t need a screw driver to tell this guitar was right. It revealed itself when the case opened. Joe B
    Thank you JBLPlayer for filling in the details.
    My dear friend Ed Clark had sent me the pic of the guitar prior to sale .
    Absolutely blown away by the color.. (And of course the sound when you posted playing in Al's kitchen!)
    When Ed told me who he suggested to Al, for a potential buyer, of course, I couldn't have agreed more wholeheartedly.
    Al had graciously offered Ed, 2 of the VIP passes if he could make it to FLA.
    We both stayed at Al's house, who is an absolute "old school" gentleman, while we were down in Florida.
    Thank you again, for the tickets ,and the opportunity to shake your hand after the show.
    As tired as you probably were, it was obvious you would talk guitars all night! lol.
    So once again, congratulations MR B.
    The Bosco Burst couldn't be in better custodial hands..
    Being a small part of this has been an amazing experience.
    P.S., In one of the B & W photos I noticed the metal pick guard thingy was not there.. Have a look again.
    Bless you all, and keep on rockin'. IMG_1916.jpg
    Last edited by joemags54; 02-25-19 at 10:13 AM.
    "Big time Bill. Big time. Big time.".... Ronnie Hawkins

Congrats Joe! Sheís a beauty!

Les Paul Forum Member Amandaburst's Avatar

Beautiful guitar in great condition. Love the color!

Les Paul Forum Member Pellman73's Avatar

cool story

Thanks for taking us along for the ride!

I can imagine these Guitar Safaris can be super addicting. the whole process... the hunt... the deal.... the anticipation on the ride... that moment just before opening the case...

just knowing how excited I get when I get a new guitar-- something like this I'm sure takes it to a whole new level

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wittrock View Post
    Ground wire from the bridge pickup cavity?
    If you look closely you can see the ground wire. It breaks thru the maple right on the 90 degree edge of the 1" Fostner bore.

Joe B Bosco Burst.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by boogieongtr View Post
    If you look closely you can see the ground wire. It breaks thru the maple right on the 90 degree edge of the 1" Fostner bore.

Joe B Bosco Burst.jpg
    I have no idea what a "Foster bore" is or what you are talking about.
    It would be better to use the full size photo rather than the tiny version.
    I still don't see the ground wire going to the tailpiece or the bridge.
    Pauls to the walls!

HŁter der Flammen!

I think this is the ground wire to the tailpiece.

Ah Melborne Beach ~ South of Coco
    Know it well, Ital pizza and more , lol
    Bizzaro.. Long Board House
    A1A

Birth place of the #1 lizard ` , Jim Morrison

Sleepy place. Nice turtle nesting grounds, Leather Backs an more
    I have watched egg layin on a full moon,, there. Whoa.
    Bucket list , indeed