• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NGD! 2014 Wes Montgomery L5

Unbound Dot Neck

Thanks UDN! So it’s safe to type that you like them then I guess? :laugh2: I’m not sure that my dainty fingers can take 13s? I have trouble with 12s on my acoustics! :laugh2:

Thanks for the post and
cheers.gif

WORK THEM 13" S , The TS' strings really are fine
have fun,

C

Jazzkat

That is one beautiful guitar. My dream guitar.

I use TI Benson 14s on my 175 so the 13s on the L5 should be spot on.
The TIs have less tension than a lot of other brand strings, you won't look back.

Patek

Congrats !!!

L5 is very high on my list. I’ve had a 175 and had a 1940s L-something which I forget but do regret the sale of.

For me ideally would be a late 50s affordable husk

Midnight Blues

That is one beautiful guitar. My dream guitar.

I use TI Benson 14s on my 175 so the 13s on the L5 should be spot on.
The TIs have less tension than a lot of other brand strings, you won't look back.

Thanks JK! This was definitely one of my dream guitars as well. I've really wanted one for more years than I can remember now.

As for the strings. WOW, 14s must be tough!!!! As you've mentioned, the gentlemen I purchased her from said the same thing in terms of the tension. This going to be quite the new experience for me just with flatwounds alone. I'll see how it goes and maybe next string change I'll try the 13s?

Thanks for the post and
cheers.gif

Midnight Blues

Congrats !!!

L5 is very high on my list. I’ve had a 175 and had a 1940s L-something which I forget but do regret the sale of.

For me ideally would be a late 50s affordable husk

Thanks Patek!

L5 are something aren't they and a WesMo for me was right at the top (very close to Frampton's '54) and even though I really didn't need another guitar, the condition that this one was in in comparison to others I've been seeing, along with the price, I just had to get it.

175s are great guitars as well, so I can understand and appreciate your regret.

Thanks for the post and
cheers.gif

Midnight Blues

Well, she just arrived!

I'm going to wait a little while to let her get acclimated to the temperature in the house before I officially open her up.

This is going to be more torturous than waiting for her to arrive!

ohno.gif

Midnight Blues

Well, I felt safe that she became acclimated to the temperature in the house and finally opened the box/case; she's even more beautiful than in the pictures!!!! You can tell that great care was taken in maintaining her condition, which is near pristine.

I just finished playing her (acoustically) a little while ago and she's like putting on an old pair of slippers!!!! What a warm sound and the neck is just gorgeous!!!! I love the feel of it and it's so easy to play!!!! The way the action was set-up is just about right where I like it, so no adjustments necessary and I have to say, I really like the flats on her. They feel very nice!

Of course, the first thing I had to play was my worst Wes impression by hacking-up "Four On Six" using my thumb of course! LOL!

Next stop, plugging her in to my Marshall 1974X to bask in the glory that is a Wes Montgomery L-5!!!!

Here are a couple of pictures I took:

XBW6XkM.jpg

OqmJKLr.jpg

She looks comfortable in her new surroundings doesn't she?

Jazzkat

She looks great, truly a queen of guitars.

Thanks JK! This was definitely one of my dream guitars as well. I've really wanted one for more years than I can remember now.

As for the strings. WOW, 14s must be tough!!!! As you've mentioned, the gentlemen I purchased her from said the same thing in terms of the tension. This going to be quite the new experience for me just with flatwounds alone. I'll see how it goes and maybe next string change I'll try the 13s?

Thanks for the post and
cheers.gif

The shorter scale length of the ES175 and the low tension of the TIs makes it easy to play, though the 10s on my LP feel like cobwebs in comparison,I'll eventually go to 11s on the LP. The longer scale length of the L5 should mean 13s would be very similar to the tension of my 175.
The other thing about the TIs is that they last such a long time. Definitely worth the cash for the sound and the longevity.

Midnight Blues

Niiiice!!! Congrats again- that is ONE BEAUTIFUL GUITAR!!!!

And thank you again DG! The pictures, especially mine, don't do her justice. I'm terrible when it comes to taking them.

Thanks for the post and
cheers.gif

Midnight Blues

She looks great, truly a queen of guitars.

The shorter scale length of the ES175 and the low tension of the TIs makes it easy to play, though the 10s on my LP feel like cobwebs in comparison,I'll eventually go to 11s on the LP. The longer scale length of the L5 should mean 13s would be very similar to the tension of my 175.
The other thing about the TIs is that they last such a long time. Definitely worth the cash for the sound and the longevity.

Thank you Jk!

There's definitely a difference in terms of the tension. I've always used 10s on my Les Pauls/355/Strat and 12s on my acoustic guitars. Believe it or not the 12s were and are hard for me to get used to, so I was a bit worried about jumping right to 13s. As a result, I've foolishly purchased a set of TI 12s, when it appears that I could've gone with the 13s. I may contact MF to see if I can return them for 13s and see what they say?

Thanks for the post and
cheers.gif

shrews824

Beautiful guitar. Congratulations. I've always wanted one of those myself. Maybe someday.

cincyguitar

Wow...a real gem...I saw a Tal Farlow Gibson a few years back that I really wanted...makes ya really want to play some jazz....Congrats!

Unbound Dot Neck

try the 13's -Bebops, wound G

The larger gauge , should not worry you, try em

:salude

Last edited:

Midnight Blues

Beautiful guitar. Congratulations. I've always wanted one of those myself. Maybe someday.

THANKS shrews! I waited a looooooooooong time to get one of these and I can tell you, it was worth the wait!

Thanks for the post and
cheers.gif

Midnight Blues

Wow...a real gem...I saw a Tal Farlow Gibson a few years back that I really wanted...makes ya really want to play some jazz....Congrats!

THANKS cincy! Yeah, those Tal's are gorgeous guitars that's for sure! I love Tal's playing too! Wes is my "Main Man" though when it comes to Jazz Guitarist. I'm also a huge Kenny Burrell fan as well!

Thanks for the post and
cheers.gif

Midnight Blues

try the 13's -Bebops, wound G

The larger gauge , should not worry you, try em

:salude

What a beauty UDN! I'll bet she plays like a dream!

Wasn't worth returning them, so I just ordered a set of 13 "Swings" from MF yesterday, so they should be here in a few days hopefully.

Thanks for the post and
cheers.gif

Midnight Blues

wes-montgomery.gif

So I gave her a good cleaning today with some Virtuoso cleaner and I thought I'd take a few pictures. That's a picture of Wes from an old Guitar Player magazine (as if you couldn't tell! :laugh2:) that I framed and had in my office at work for years. Now that I'm retired, it's home where it belongs:

td7gLgN.jpg

TfIB8An.jpg

rzU01o5.jpg

pX4Ib3x.jpg

NyZ6Nho.jpg

czWkksN.jpg

mp9UGbb.jpg

wes-montgomery.gif