• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

And another thing...

Broz

Maybe I'm missing something, but why do some LP Standards have 'Standard' printed on the headstock and some don't? Is it down to the year of production.. a whim of Gibson.. or something else? I've attached pics of a 2007 and 2008 LP Standard headstock, only the latter displays 'Standard'.

Attachments

• non standard image.jpg
    non standard image.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 34
  • standard image.jpg
    standard image.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Broz

Well, so far it seems 57 other forum members don't know why!

Big Al

It is an easy to change part and many do. At least 57 forum bros have.

duaneflowers

Maybe I'm missing something, but why do some LP Standards have 'Standard' printed on the headstock and some don't? Is it down to the year of production.. a whim of Gibson.. or something else? I've attached pics of a 2007 and 2008 LP Standard headstock, only the latter displays 'Standard'.

Its not printed on the headstock, its printed on the truss rod cover...

Zentar

I know exactly why Gibson seems to be haphazard about including the model name "Standard" on all Standards. Several times before I have clearly explained this minor confusion by the company.
I will explain it again.
Oops. Someone at my door. BRB

Broz

He is clearly talking about the truss rod cover on the headstock as shown in pics.
Thanks alot Big Al, yes I see this now, guess I should've done some searching before posting. I'm in the process of purchasing my first LP so never even held one, let alone seen the TRC plate.

Broz

I know exactly why Gibson seems to be haphazard about including the model name "Standard" on all Standards. Several times before I have clearly explained this minor confusion by the company.
I will explain it again.
Oops. Someone at my door. BRB
Hope it was a Powerball rep saying you've scooped the jackpot ;)

dju

was the "standard" labeled truss rod cover a norlin thing?
Fifties era LP's TRC were blank. I think 60's era (SG/LP) were blank also.
Maybe sometime in the late 60's early 70's they used the "standard" labeled TRC.
and then again sometime later they stopped putting "standard" labeled TRC's on them.
my 03 Standard had a blank TRC but I put a "standard" labeled TRC on it.
I became familiar with LP's during the early 80's and thus my early exposure was norlin LP's and the "standard" labeled TRC looked normal to me.
it wasn't until this internet thingy and web forums popped up that I found out that I should or shouldn't like things about my guitars.
but don't worry. the older I get the less I case about cork sniffer attitude.
I doubt I'll ever own a 50's era LP or probably not even a R8/9/0 historic.
As long as I am ignorant of how great these vintage/historic guitars are I'll be happy with my norlin and later guitars.
also, don't forget about that damn nashville bridge. I was happy with that until I read that I should want the ABR style......

sorry for rambling on about off topic grumblings.....
dj

Broz

was the "standard" labeled truss rod cover a norlin thing?
Fifties era LP's TRC were blank. I think 60's era (SG/LP) were blank also.
Maybe sometime in the late 60's early 70's they used the "standard" labeled TRC.
and then again sometime later they stopped putting "standard" labeled TRC's on them.
my 03 Standard had a blank TRC but I put a "standard" labeled TRC on it.
I became familiar with LP's during the early 80's and thus my early exposure was norlin LP's and the "standard" labeled TRC looked normal to me.
it wasn't until this internet thingy and web forums popped up that I found out that I should or shouldn't like things about my guitars.
but don't worry. the older I get the less I case about cork sniffer attitude.
I doubt I'll ever own a 50's era LP or probably not even a R8/9/0 historic.
As long as I am ignorant of how great these vintage/historic guitars are I'll be happy with my norlin and later guitars.
also, don't forget about that damn nashville bridge. I was happy with that until I read that I should want the ABR style......

sorry for rambling on about off topic grumblings.....
dj
No need to apologise... It was an interesting insight for me. Thanks.