• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Pickup suggestions needed for LP Traditional

Chris1547

I have a LP traditional that is somewhat on the darker side. Currently I have a full toneman 50’s wiring kit installed and wolfetone Dr.v’s.

While the Dr. Vs are awesome sounding pickups I think I need something a little hotter. I play mostly southern rock ( a lot of Skynyrd and Marshall Tucker) straight into a ‘72 super lead and for instance when I play the solo/lead for “Don’t ask no questions” it sounds a little flat.

To me both Rossington and Caldwell’s burst both seem a little overwound?

I’ve been looking at a wolfetone Marshallhead alnico 5, WCR Darkburst set and Bareknuckle Mules.

Suggestions?

grimlyflick

Montys.

I have the Humdinger set, although the PAF replicas look tasty too.
:salude

duaneflowers

Check out the Wizz Hot 'Lantas... I think they would tick all your boxes...

Dragonkoi

I wanted the double cream look in my Traditional. I chose Bareknuckle because they are uk based and fairly well known so thought I couldn't go wrong. And it didn't go wrong. I chose a set of Mules. Compared to the 57 classics they are much clearer, no neck muddyness. The bridge has plenty of bite and top end without getting harsh. They are definately an upgrade. Certainly my best sounding guitar without a doubt. There are SO many options these days and you can tone chase forever but the Mules definately do what they say they do.

DG2003

I chose a set of Mules.

I suppose I could look it up, but it's more fun asking questions here- Dragon, where do the Mules fall in the spectrum? Are they PAF or a bit more powerful than a PAF?

For my part, I chose Antiquities based on reputation (generally very good) and price.

Dragonkoi

They are straight up the middle general PAF type. They do a lower output PAF type, the Stormy Monday and a higher output Riff Raff. They offer wax potted and non wax potted versions. Each pick up manufacturer offer their own take on the PAF and try to cater for various peoples expectations of a very variable vintage pickup. Therefore I suggest picking a budget and brand based on ciustomer service/ what you need/ dont need. Example: If you need a PAF sticker on the underside then bareknuckle is not for you. For a decent sounding set for around 200 pounds I can highly reccomend them.

WytLytnyn

Since the guitar has a bit of a darker sound to it I would suggest Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates. I know some people roll their eyes at the suggestion of Seymour Duncan's, but I really like the early production one that I have in an SG. Mine is definitely brighter than other PAF variants that I've experienced.

Also, what value are your pots?

grimlyflick

Since the guitar has a bit of a darker sound to it I would suggest Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates. I know some people roll their eyes at the suggestion of Seymour Duncan's, but I really like the early production one that I have in an SG. Mine is definitely brighter than other PAF variants that I've experienced.

Also, what value are your pots?

No eye rolling here, I have them in my Classic and it’s a great sounding guitar.
:salude