• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Finish chip - should I repair

Hburst

Hi all, first post on this forum,

I must have double bad luck as I dropped something on my beautiful LP and did not one but two chips in the finish, close to where the arm rests when I play.
Wood is visible for both. I like naturally distressed guitars but I'm kind of mad about this one.

Pictures here : https://imgur.com/a/xhsoiWP

I don't want to have any issue (moisture?) As this is my number one guitar at the moment. If you guys can tell me what you think is best that'd be great

Should I try the superglue drop repair? Or leave it like that?

Thanks

Last edited:

Progear

IMHO and I’m in no way an expert, just leave it as is... what ever you do, it will look worst.:salude

toxpert

Unless you are a pro luthier...leave it be. Drop-filling with superglue will not match the color..and will create potential problem for a pro repair.
Look at it as real relic mark...
Cheers
Mac

Zentar

Might look better to do whole cap refinish. That is more than a little ding and matching stain color is tough

longlowrumble

The first dings are always the worst. In five years or so you'll have forgotten about them. Just leave them alone and play that thing to death.

Hburst

Thanks guys,
I might leave it like that, I love this axe with or without it.:yah
If anything to unaesthetic happen - I heard humidity can affect finished around chips - I'll have it refinished properly
I live in Japan so sending it to Gibson is not a cheap option

Desertdawg

There are some excellent repair guys in Japan. If you are in Tokyo, just ask some of the stores in Ochanomizu.

LarryUK

I did a almost identical thing to a Les Paul Pro Deluxe in the 80's. It was the day I collected it and I dropped a 3 pin plug onto it.
I took it to my luthier and he Drop filled it so well that I couldn't see where it was. If it were mine I'd at least take it to get a quote.