• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2018 Traditional Pots?

Classicplayer

I have a question regarding the pot values of my '18 Traditional. Not sure if they are 500K
throughout, but the neck volume pot is not very useful to me. It needs to be almost on 10
to sound natural. Once it goes below say, 9.5, the highs start receding quite a bit. The bridge pot
seems OK, in that I can roll back to 8.5 or so and still retain highs that I look for.

Should I forget about 50's wiring and treble bleeds or cap changes and just order a new neck pot
from Gibson. If I do; what's to prevent another dodgy pot being sent my way?

Classicplayer

Don

I doubt the pot is the problem. I'd move the tone cap lead to the switch lug on the volume pot and see how you like it.

Classicplayer

I doubt the pot is the problem. I'd move the tone cap lead to the switch lug on the volume pot and see how you like it.

Thanks! Good advice from a “Baystater” to a former one. I've been advised before to do just what you recommend. I think I will try it with the neck pup which is a BB #1 set low in its ring. I know that I could live with it currently, but if I could improve “room” to clean up my tone by 50's wiring of that pup alone, I would have more control over my gain to clean tone.

Classicplayer