• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

71 les paul custom volume pot

bluesboyst

I have a 71 Les Paul Custom and never had any issues with the volume pots...in 48 years. Now the bridge pickup volume pot works but does not get sounds until it is on 8. No sound from 0 to 7. I tried cleaning it with Deoxit....no luck. is the pot bad? The year on the pot is 1970.. I would hate to have to replace it.... :dang:dang

Dave P

Deoxit is worthless, I've used it and it doesn't deoxidize anything. I've taken pots apart after shooting them with Deoxit, and they were still oxidized inside. It's ok to flush out crud from the inside of pots, but that's about it. Most repairmen would just change the pot, but fixing an old one can be done. A crafty repairman can take the pot apart, carefully clean the wiper and carbon, and see if that solves the problem. If not, the carbon track is probably bad. But a carbon track from a new pot can be used to fix the old pot if originality is paramount. I've fixed old Centralab pots this way.

bluesboyst

Deoxit is worthless, I've used it and it doesn't deoxidize anything. I've taken pots apart after shooting them with Deoxit, and they were still oxidized inside. It's ok to flush out crud from the inside of pots, but that's about it. Most repairmen would just change the pot, but fixing an old one can be done. A crafty repairman can take the pot apart, carefully clean the wiper and carbon, and see if that solves the problem. If not, the carbon track is probably bad. But a carbon track from a new pot can be used to fix the old pot if originality is paramount. I've fixed old Centralab pots this way.

Thanks I have a new CTS port on order and have a repairman that is going to try and fix it....