• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

David Gilmour auctioning off 120 guitars

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
The announcement says that the estimate on The Black Strat is 100 - 150K. I'm guessing it'll be 10 times that - 1 - 1.5 mill.
Likely Strat 0001 will be in that same ballpark, 1 mill ish.

"I pity the fool!"
[ET's dad, Mr.T]

JPP-1

I would like to apologize to all the forum members here for my previous post.

I should have never posted it as it is irrelevant to the forum.

Ever see a guy try to take his pants off over his head?

Yeah.

I did that.

Please accept my humble apology.

I think it's a positive thing that Gimour is donating the proceeds to charity. Genuine philanthropy is noble. Hopefully, the charity receiving the proceeds has a primary goal of alleviating human suffering rather than advancing a political agenda. Thankfully, I know nothing of Gilmour's political views. However, sometimes our gut reaction to extreme hypocrisy compels us to say or post things we might otherwise not. I've been there myself. So don't beat yourself up.

deytookerjaabs, you are an interesting character, I mean that in good way. Your varied and often well reasoned, thorough posts are usually a pleasure to read. But comparing the political savvy of most Americans to a retard riding a bus in Spain is particularly ironic given many of Europe's policy choices. The immense human suffering that has befallen European cities such as Rotherham, England clearly illustrates a great many in Europe not only have a profound deficit in basic political, cultural and historical understanding to a degree truly befitting the definition of mentally handicapped, but they also exhibit a gross lack of compassion for their fellow citizens who are not able to live comfortably behind a gate.

Peter E.

It's a nice thing he is doing if indeed the money is going to charity. There's no doubt a few of those guitars are going to fetch massive amounts of money. Let's face it, he isn't getting any younger, and you can't take them with you when the party's over. No matter what he plays, he will always sound like David Gilmour.

Couldn’t agree more!

deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs, you are an interesting character, I mean that in good way. Your varied and often well reasoned, thorough posts are usually a pleasure to read. But comparing the political savvy of most Americans to a retard riding a bus in Spain is particularly ironic given many of Europe's policy choices.

Without getting deeper, I try not to connect regular folks with their, uh, national policies. I will say from my experience working with people from out of the country (with exception too) that often times others can have a civil, in depth, discussion of such things without resorting to full bore crazy attacks. Much different than, ohhhh, family reunions where you get to hear regurgitated hot take facebook memes come to life and anything other than that is blasphemy :laugh2:

JPP-1

:)
Without getting deeper, I try not to connect regular folks with their, uh, national policies. I will say from my experience working with people from out of the country (with exception too) that often times others can have a civil, in depth, discussion of such things without resorting to full bore crazy attacks. Much different than, ohhhh, family reunions where you get to hear regurgitated hot take facebook memes come to life and anything other than that is blasphemy :laugh2:

Ok, now I hear what you are saying.:)

Phatfrank

Has anyone seen a complete list of the guitars that will be offered (*checks bank balance and swears profoundly*)?

garywright

do these types of auctions typically list expected prices low ?
( 30k-50k for his '55 Goldtop )

jrgtr42

do these types of auctions typically list expected prices low ?
( 30k-50k for his '55 Goldtop )

Guessing that's book value for the guitar, ignoring celebrity ownership and historical value.
A plain-Jane '55 that was owned by you or me would probably sell at that. Gilmour's? 10 times that, likely.

4string

Has anyone seen a complete list of the guitars that will be offered (*checks bank balance and swears profoundly*)?

Not on Christie's site yet. If it's like the Clapton auctions there should be a full listing and catalogs available at some point. I paid something like $20 each for the Clapton catalogs. They were well worth it and are still fun to look through. I'm on Christie's mailing list so if I get any updates I'll post them.

Display and auction schedule as follows:

London at Christie’s King Street (27-31 March), where the full collection will be on display.
Highlights will then go on view in Los Angeles (7-11 May) before the New York sale preview (14-19 June)

Auction is June 20th in New York.

DG2003

I always feel a touch of sadness to see the tools of ones trade put up for sale.

It marks somewhat of an end to a significant part of a persons life.

I hope it gets him where he needs to be.

Exactly what I was thinking. Pink Floyd and Gilmour's music is like comfort food to me... kinda of a weird feeling knowing that he won't be making music on it again.

madformac

I always feel a touch of sadness to see the tools of ones trade put up for sale.

It marks somewhat of an end to a significant part of a persons life.

I hope it gets him where he needs to be.

If I had to put money on the guitar he wouldn't sell it would be his Esquire and I was correct.

I've seen Gilmour with Floyd and solo a good few times and he is an exceptionally gifted writer and musician although he often comes across as a pompous arse. I am more in Roger's camp these days.

Gilmour sold the house he purchased from Earl Spencer in London for about £3.5M a while ago and gave all the money to Crisis for the homeless, this seems to go under the radar with most people. He has a lovely wife, 8 kids and lives in Sussex and not in Monaco or Switzerland. He pays taxes.

I'm not sure what is expected of musicians that set out on a journey, then become everything they opposed before the fame and money. There are many that have more money than Gilmour that do a lot less for the deprived than him.

ourmaninthenorth

I think these displays of giving are just what we all see on a daily basis, you know those small acts of grace that largely go un-noticed, just on a much larger and public scale.

Some soul with their back to the wall is going to feel some benefit from this.

Great set that Justin, Live from Pomp(eii)ous....:laugh2::laugh2:

ourmaninthenorth

I'm sure most who are interested have already seen this, if not, enjoy.

A bit about the geezer behind the guitar.

deytookerjaabs

Last time I looked there was about zero decent live footage of the band's concerts for quite a period of time, pompeii is epic though. But from there up to the wall it's like no one bothered to get anything beyond some cheap hand cam for what looks like a mountain of tour dates. Not cool, history, not cool.

ourmaninthenorth

Last time I looked there was about zero decent live footage of the band's concerts for quite a period of time, pompeii is epic though. But from there up to the wall it's like no one bothered to get anything beyond some cheap hand cam for what looks like a mountain of tour dates. Not cool, history, not cool.

Agreed. There used to be a veritable mountain of audio bootleg stuff floating about from the period, but almost zero footage.

I'd be really surprised if it didn't exist, but can't really offer, beyond perhaps the artists controlling it's release, an explanation why it's not found itself on the interweb.

Personally I'd love to see footage from the Animals tour, just love that album.

J.D.

I'd bet most of these guitars will be gobbled up by corporations and/or very wealthy who will take the tax writeoff as a charitable donation and essentially get a free guitar.

I have nothing bad to say about Mr. Gilmour. Brilliant musician and apparently humanitarian as well.

thin sissy

That is odd, I wonder why more stuff wasn't filmed. It's the same thing with Genesis and Yes, I would love to see more stuff from the pre 75ish days.

Garincha

"I pity the fool!"
[ET's dad, Mr.T]

Well, the neck of Claptons Blackie was appearently worn beyond repair. So that 1,000,000$ got the guy who bought it an essentially unplayable guitar.

Both of DG's Strats are at least still usable as an Instrument ;)

On a more serious note, I know what you mean. Both guitars are basically Frankenstrats, the black one has changed necks and pickups over time and the 0001 Strat is of controversial origin. Seymour Duncan believes he put it together from 57 parts before selling it for mere 900 quids to the guy that sold it to David. On the other hand, a magazin examined it in the 90s and found a 9/54 date on the Body. Whatever it is, it is NOT the first strat ever made.

ourmaninthenorth

To be candid their reductive value is an irrelevance to me, their worth however is beyond empirical measurement.

It's that worth that remains my driver.

I know, miles vary.

:salude

Garincha

Never knew the solo on 'Another Brick in the Wall' was a P90 Les Paul.

For whatever reason I knew that, though I can't remember who told me so first. But I remember my bandmates and I used to discuss that sound back in the 90s already.

What we didn't know back then and what I've only recently learned, is the real secret to that tone: They recorded the guitar straight to the desk with a D.I. box and then reamp it with Daves then new Boogie MK II. The actual sound is a blend of both, the D.I. track and the Boogie. That gives that magic tone that is dirty and clean at the same time.