• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

David Gilmour auctioning off 120 guitars

deytookerjaabs

3.3 Mil on the black strat. 1.5 mil on the 01 strat, 6 figures for a freakin' case. Lots of money raised.

Pat Boyack

I have to laugh at those who bitch about a guy selling his personal gear and using the money for whatever the f**k he wants. :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::applaude:applaude:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

F-Hole

Wasn't there talk of the 01 Strat being a Symour Duncan made parts-caster?

Absolutely insane prices........excellent for the charity.

deytookerjaabs

My personal fav's were Broadcaster 0053, good gawd, and watching stuff you could get at the pawn shop fetch big bucks.

Also, I imagine Mr. Irsay under clouds of smoke strumming an E chord on the black strat while sitting in the back of his personal movie theater during a DSOTM laser light show.

Yep, I read something along those lines a while back though some information seemed conflicting from different parties. FWIW the auction verbiage even stated "later Fender neck" "body finished in white." Still, that's one hell of a neck plate on that parts build. IIRC Gruhn sold "The First Strat" not too long ago.

F-Hole

It's a lot of money for a refin and parts-caster.

Still, a highly flamed, partial refin 'burst that's been on the block for a while just sold, very likely for silly money.

Here's a interesting article, http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=259

Seems Duncan says it's a 57 body and 57 neck from two different guitars, and that he rewound the pickups.

jrgtr42

Also, I imagine Mr. Irsay under clouds of smoke strumming an E chord on the black strat while sitting in the back of his personal movie theater during a DSOTM laser light show.

Yep, I read something along those lines a while back though some information seemed conflicting from different parties. FWIW the auction verbiage even stated "later Fender neck" "body finished in white." Still, that's one hell of a neck plate on that parts build. IIRC Gruhn sold "The First Strat" not too long ago.

I was thinking Irsay'd be in play for some of these - is there any confirmation he got Black or any of them?

From what I understand, 0001 was not the first Strat made; the neck date is several months later. However, it's though that it was a special order, and therefore worthy of the 0001 serial number. The color and anodized pickguard are the custom parts - in '54 they were only in Sunburst, IIRC.
Seymore Duncan did own it, and I gather replaced the pickups / electronics, from what I've read the body and neck were original.
Seymore sold it to Dave's tech in the 70s, and Dave bought it from him.

deytookerjaabs

Yeah, that thing is a doozie until a serious exam is done. IMO those chips in the headstock scream of replaced tuners that almost didn't fit but were yanked in anyways at some point even though it now has vintage gold hardware.

I'm not a knowledgeable Gilmour aficionado by any stretch, though I love old Floyd work, but what I gather from glancing at the stuff at the auction as a whole is the Gilmour bump is quite strong regardless of what the instrument is. He can play my guitars any time anywhere :)

I read that the Black Strat winner was Irsay's rep on the auction floor...who was wearing a Colt's pin no less. I'm sure we'll get confirmation either way in the coming days.

sonar

...but what I gather from glancing at the stuff at the auction as a whole is the Gilmour bump is quite strong regardless of what the instrument is.

Agreed.

I wouldn't trade a six pack of Natty Light for an Ovation, yet Gilmour got close to a half million for one.

Jon Brook

Absolutely insane prices........excellent for the charity.

As far as i am aware the Black one was dubbed a Partcaster as well .. and that sold for 3.3 Million

F-Hole

I'd bet most of these guitars will be gobbled up by corporations and/or very wealthy who will take the tax writeoff as a charitable donation and essentially get a free guitar.

Donations are deducted from tax, so the cost is 1 -T, with T being the tax rate.

If the cost is $100 and the tax rate 30%, the real cost is $70...........it's far from "free".

F-Hole

I guess I'm struggling with this as I'm not a Gilmour or PF fan.

I don't get "tech stock" valuations either.

My bad I guess.

GreenBurst

Nothing to struggle with. Just put your favorite guitar hero's name on it and it makes more sense. Some people think Duane Allman is a great guitarist, others wonder who he is.
It's the same with this auction. Very cool for Gilmour and the charity that benefits.