• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NGD! 73 Stratocaster - in full CBS-era glory!

Progrocker111

Just pulled the trigger and bought a Strat after a long time. Its a alder/rosewood 1973 all original Strat (well, except a common 5 way switch). :) Very lightweigt, with suprisingly deep and woody tone with lots of mids and airiness. Combined with quacky and snappy early 70s staggered poles pickups its a pure 70s Ritchie Blackmore machine, very musical Strat. Simply very funny guitar for 70s rock. :dude: I have had positive experiences with these early 70s Strats, they still are very similar in tone to late 60s ones from my experience.

xDetz8q.jpg

mY9vsym.jpg

QpLmaCl.jpg

ukIpVMQ.jpg

Dave P

Nice! I have a pair of 75 Strats, one is lightweight and one is a tank. LOL

Midnight Blues

I love '70s Strats, especially the headstocks! Congrats Prog, HNGD
attachment.php
and play her in good health!

Anje

Nice clean one congrats; I also love those big Headstock Strat, and yes you can find some great ones from the early/mid 70's.

latestarter

I had the exact same guitar for a long time - sunburst, rosewood, 1973. Very beat up. Sounded great, even given my struggle with Strats.

Well done on this one - looks in good condition. Will it need a refret to get the bends going on?

gary buff

Hope you have better luck with yours than I did with my natural finish mpl neck '73 I bought in '75. It was hard to play, sounded thin and wouldn't stay in tune. In short, one of the worst guitars I've owned out of many. Sold soon after for an early 70s LP Custom as many did back then--thing played fine even with the stock small frets and sounded great through a Marshall, unlike the Strat.

So I got a "bad" Strat and a "good" LP--again, hope your Strat is "good"!

Gary

Last edited:

deytookerjaabs

I had a '73 for a short period too, I don't think I've ever had so many "tone" compliments as when I had that guitar. Long story short, the shop I taught at offered it to me for what they paid, which was nothing, but after paying off 50% of it I hit hard times. It was a sunburst/rosewood model too, total beaut.

Congrats!

cincyguitar

Congrats on the new 73 Strat dude.....hope it sounds as good as it looks !

Texsunburst59

Congrats on killer score!

I picked up a my '75 Fender Mocha Strat a few years ago in a trade for my $500 Fender Tele.

Mine has a slim neck and is also weighs just a hair over 7 lbs.

The pickups on this guitar sound amazing.

Here's a couple of pics.

24736929712_13f354fa87_b.jpg

24854796015_3118d8d8eb_b.jpg

The Shifter

Congrats on killer score!

I picked up a my '75 Fender Mocha Strat a few years ago in a trade for my $500 Fender Tele.

Mine has a slim neck and is also weighs just a hair over 7 lbs.

The pickups on this guitar sound amazing.

Here's a couple of pics.

24736929712_13f354fa87_b.jpg

24854796015_3118d8d8eb_b.jpg

Oh man, it's good to see this guitar again. I love this one.

The Shifter

Killer SB Strat, progrocker! That bridge looks crazy clean.

Since we're posting '73s here's mine. It was kind of a mess when I got it. Had a G&L wiring harness on a single ply white guard.
I tracked down a 1973 pickguard and put in a Fender Custom Shop '69 set. I figured that was close as I could get to '73 without buying an OG set.
It's been re-fretted and pretty much the only things original to the guitar are the neck and body. Super lightweight.
01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg