• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NGD: 1964 SG Standard...grail obtained

Progrocker111

Wow, killer SG collection! Congrats :dude:

Do you play them through Hiwatts too? :hank

And how do the later 60s SGs stand against this 64 tonewise?

pjisaacs

Congratulations - I have a similarly clean 64, and it's an amazing guitar.

The neck is just perfect and in terms of sound and versatility - just insane, in many ways the better of the 54 Goldtop and 53 Conversion I also own - just powerful but also subtle - love it, and Gibson 64 necks are killer!

I had a 69, great Angus guitar - but these are so much more in my mind

Hiwatt Bob

I've said the same thing many times. Those Customs were just a design epiphany IMO. It was like they took that old retro-future art deco approach which was a "vintage" look back then as it was turn of the century world's fair type stuff. The aggressive white/gold, angular etched tailpiece, along with blending the soft contours of the super slim body with the hard edges of the horns then a deep black fretboard, the whole thing is just beautiful.

The rest of the wall ain't so bad either, having had some vintage brown amps & electronic gear myself I understand! That Matamp built Orange? Ooohweeee would love to hear it as I've plugged into some obscure stuff but never ran into one of those beauties in real life.

Not an SG—but here’s my ‘62 JM through it:

Hiwatt Bob

Wow, killer SG collection! Congrats :dude:

Do you play them through Hiwatts too? :hank

And how do the later 60s SGs stand against this 64 tonewise?

Yes—sounds amazing through a Hiwatt. But also through tweeds.

The biggest difference between the later ‘60s ones is they have a more prominent mid range hump when you back off the vol. Full vol, the 64 has a sweeter top end and slightly more detail. But honestly it’s a small difference. I prefer the 64 for sure. But is the difference worth the extra $k’s?? Maybe.

EFLOW

ej402h8.jpg

The cream SG Custom with Vibrola is ... :##

jrgtr42

Very nice. My dream guitar is a '61 - '62 LP / SG. Doubtful if it'll ever happen, though. :(
For now, my '80 Firebrand SG will have to do.
Interesting color change yours has on the neck - is that from wear or something over the years?

GuitarMikey

That seems to happen on cherry red guitars from the period. I have a 64 SG junior, 64 ES 335 and a 63 Epi Newport Bass that are all cherry and all have that fade on the back of the neck from playing.

deytookerjaabs

Not an SG—but here’s my ‘62 JM through it:

AMEN!

There's some sweet ole cleans in there too.

Thanks for the clip! A rare beast indeed! I've got a 90's OTR 120 (70's parts?) and love it but I been reading early vintage models (though different from your MATAMP) tend to carry more headroom, which my reissue could use a bit more of. I'd love to get one at least out into the early 70's with a proper matching cab then gig the **** out of it!