• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NGD: 1964 SG Standard...grail obtained

Hiwatt Bob

Finally after many years i've been able to obtain what was previously unobtainium. My dream SG...the '64 standard. and this one is basically flawless. 100% original. only thing not factory is someone added a weird kind of emblem on top of the wheat inlay on the headstock. i could probably pry it off, but i'm going to just leave it. it sounds fantastic and plays just as good--definitely lives up to the hype.

here are some pics. i'll update my "SG Wall" later and post some pics of that.
vKhv9v6.jpg

F6mESGk.jpg

vWRedbe.jpg

3yUdMuz.jpg

garywright

that's beautiful Bob and looks very similar to one i sold back in the 70s to a high school friend ( could even be it ) ... please do post your SG wall ..I'm sure this looks stunning beside that white late 60s SG Custom :salude

latestarter

Also my grail...a few have slipped through my hands. My '65 will do for now. This looks awesome. Congrats.

Bruce R

Congratulations!! That is beautiful! The friend that taught me to play guitar in 1966 had a spectacular '64 just like this. That guy was the envy of everyone in our town.

GuitarMikey

Congrats on your dream guitar! What a beauty.
I would love to have a pre 66 SG one of these days.

:salude

latestarter

That is a better wall than the one everyone talks about over there.

A wall of awesome!

StSpider

Holy crap the conditions of this beauty....Congratulations, hell of a score!

OBX351

Congrats on the new std!! You have a great collection too! Love the white special!!

VGNut

They looked legit to me, maybe somewhat too clean on the shafts, but I took one off and it seemed legit.
Zb89eaF.jpg

f491GT8.jpg

Those Single Line Kluson's (as well as the 2 Ply TRC) do go well into 1964 at times, and all appears Original

Very cool guitars they are, and that appears to be in real fine shape

Congrats, Enjoy yours in Rude Health :salude

and I see by your wall we share the same tastes (though mine are floor models ha)

VGNut

That’s a tough one - as they are both such great playing and sounding VG’s, and finding good ones without issues (as you may well be aware of as you were hunting) can be very difficult to procure

The Standard has been with me since I was 18 years old - so it’s been with me the longest of any of many VG’s (that says a lot)

The Custom steps it up a notch being such Eye Candy - a Work of Art if you will... Though the Standard has a factory Stinger that Juices things up a bit

I don’t know where I would be today without having experienced a Vintage SG Custom in my youth. When I took up guitar at age 16, I took lessons at a music store that had one hanging top and center on their special display wall behind the counter. A guy named Gene took me under his wing when he would see me staring at it after lessons, and he introduced me to the world of Vintage Guitars - he knew a lot and taught me a lot about why VG’s were so special. Life altering - truly went Nuts from there...

It took me years to find just the right Custom without any issues, so basically I consider it irreplaceable

These 64/early 65 SG’s - be it Standards, Customs, Juniors, even EB-3’s (had one and still grieving over selling it - great Action while still retaining its String Mute - extremely rare to find one like that!, oh well - just can’t keep too many...) are when Gibson got it RIGHT. Period.

I’m sure you will be cherishing your 64 and hope you get to enjoy it as much as possible

Best Wishes
Lary

deytookerjaabs

The Custom steps it up a notch being such Eye Candy - a Work of Art if you will...

I've said the same thing many times. Those Customs were just a design epiphany IMO. It was like they took that old retro-future art deco approach which was a "vintage" look back then as it was turn of the century world's fair type stuff. The aggressive white/gold, angular etched tailpiece, along with blending the soft contours of the super slim body with the hard edges of the horns then a deep black fretboard, the whole thing is just beautiful.

The rest of the wall ain't so bad either, having had some vintage brown amps & electronic gear myself I understand! That Matamp built Orange? Ooohweeee would love to hear it as I've plugged into some obscure stuff but never ran into one of those beauties in real life.