• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

FIRST TIME POSTING MY 60 BURST

agogetr

hello fellow les paul enthusiasts. im a new member. i have been following for quite some time and thought i would take the plunge!
i,m posting a pic of my 60 burst i call 'the 64 burst' because the guy i got it from bought it brand new(covered in dust) in 1964.
it was under his bed 99.9 percent of its life except for a couple times when his kids snuck it out to play rock star on it. he said all of the little nicks etc were from the kids. it had the alligator cardboard case that he said fell apart and it was in a new case when i got it from him. i already had a nice 5 latch luckily.
one thing the tailpiece is adjusted real high ? a pal told me they came that way new? does anyone know if this is true? the original owner told me he never touched it. the guitar now has repro tuners.. the crumbling ones are in the case. pickups read in the low 8's it plays great. it looks more flamey at an angle i just am packed for a move and cant get more pics at the moment!

Attachments

• IMG_0013.jpg
    IMG_0013.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 750
  • IMG_0017.jpg
    IMG_0017.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 691

CDaughtry

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator
I'd love to photograph that guitar. I could make the flame light up like the Fourth of July!:peace2

Midnight Blues

What a way to make an entrance! She's gorgeous! Congrats, play her in good health and :welcome to the LPF!

mipstoo

hello fellow les paul enthusiasts. im a new member. i have been following for quite some time and thought i would take the plunge!
i,m posting a pic of my 60 burst i call 'the 64 burst' because the guy i got it from bought it brand new(covered in dust) in 1964.
it was under his bed 99.9 percent of its life except for a couple times when his kids snuck it out to play rock star on it. he said all of the little nicks etc were from the kids. it had the alligator cardboard case that he said fell apart and it was in a new case when i got it from him. i already had a nice 5 latch luckily.
one thing the tailpiece is adjusted real high ? a pal told me they came that way new? does anyone know if this is true? the original owner told me he never touched it. the guitar now has repro tuners.. the crumbling ones are in the case. pickups read in the low 8's it plays great. it looks more flamey at an angle i just am packed for a move and cant get more pics at the moment!
Good to see you here :salude

And yes, what a beautiful "tomato soup" burst... As clean as your other guitars :peace2

goldtop0

Congrats on a great looking LP.........I like that bit about the kids playing with it also:2cool

talonmm

Congratulations and welcome! That's an amazing looking guitar! How does it sound?

agogetr

Good to see you here :salude

And yes, what a beautiful "tomato soup" burst... As clean as your other guitars :peace2

thanks mipstoo. thanks to all!
i might only have a couple more pics untill i get unpacked.
beleive it or not i havent had the chance to dime it yet through an amp. although i have a black dual boost thing made in nashville that is excellent with it.
hate to say it but my goldtop with the brushed stainless covers outcranks this one, (i love goldtops to no end) the burst however has awesome cleans and tons of clarity.
Tom your right, i think its a late sixty the serial number is in the low 8's i,m struggling with posting the serial number for reasons i,m sure many of you have contemplated. the mystery burst!
the original owner is a real solid cool guy and well respected in his community. he was eleven when he got the guitar! his dad took him to a small music store in idaho and they came home and the dad had purchased himself a fancy guitar and bought the boy a cheapo guitar. the mom said 'oh no no no' 'you take him back and buy him any guitar in the store he wants' and there it was in the store and it was covered in what was described as 'thick dust' (this was 1964!)he took some lessons and later played a couple high school dances and then it went under his bed.
Cdaughtry i would love if you could shoot it someday, i have seen some of your amazing shots however the one you use when posting is my favorite :)

Last edited:

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Tom your right, i think its a late sixty the serial number is in the low 8's i,m struggling with posting the serial number for reasons i,m sure many of you have contemplated. the mystery burst!

I was going to guess the 8000 range.
I think it's a good idea to make a full presentation, including a clear photo of the serial number and any "marks". And share all of that with Julio [Zorglub] at Burst Serial.
It makes a good registry in case of theft.
That's my opinion on revealing the number. :salude

agogetr

I was going to guess the 8000 range.
I think it's a good idea to make a full presentation, including a clear photo of the serial number and any "marks". And share all of that with Julio [Zorglub] at Burst Serial.
It makes a good registry in case of theft.
That's my opinion on revealing the number. :salude
Valid point. i hadnt thought about the benefits for theft recovery. i had wondered if there were a future buyer they may not want a documented guitar. i read theres a guy they call 'the anonymous collector' or somthing like that!
i did at one point try to register it at the burst serial sight. i couldnt do it for some reason. maybe because i wasnt registered with this forum?
i will try again when i get my gear unpacked. the insight is much appreciated!:yah

mipstoo

thanks mipstoo. thanks to all!
i might only have a couple more pics untill i get unpacked.
beleive it or not i havent had the chance to dime it yet through an amp. although i have a black dual boost thing made in nashville that is excellent with it.

Wonder how it would sound through that mint tweed twin you have? :peace2