• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson Les Paul Deluxe 1969 Goldtop with mini-humbuckers, stolen 1994 looking to buy

HSJS

Gibson Les Paul Deluxe 1969 Goldtop with mini-humbuckers, stolen in the Summer of 1994 in Bloomington, IN, long shot but hoping to track it down to buy it back.

I loved this Les Paul, now it's been 25 years, and it's the longest of long shots, but I'd like to track it down and buy it back. I don't have the serial number but I'm trying to get it now. I bought it from Manny's Music in 1990. While I was on tour with The Lemonheads in the summer of 1994, I stupidly left some of my gear stored in my band Antenna's leased rehearsal space at a now-defunct Bloomington, Indiana, recording studio called The Sound Mill. The story at the time was that a studio employee named Jacques made off with a bunch of studio gear, including this guitar, and crossed the border to his native Quebec and, presumably, sold all of the gear. By the time I got back from tour, the theft had occurred several weeks prior. There aren't many of these guitars, so my wife's theory is that maybe there's a way to narrow down the sales of this model that occurred within that time period. Difficult detective work, to be sure. But who knows?

There were some minor cracks in the finish and some typical wear and tear on the body of the instrument. It had a sparkly gold star sticker on the pick guard and a Mercury Rev sticker on the body of the guitar behind the bridge at the time it was stolen (although probably removed by whoever stole the guitar). Mods include Schaller tunersYou can message me on Facebook or reply here if you have any ideas about how to track it down. I'm sure it's been sold a time or two since then, but I'll buy it again. Thanks, John Strohm

Here's a video with close ups of the guitar at 5:19, 5:46, 6:23, 6:35, 8:17, 8:45, and 10:25.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uQ3x-LBZi8

Last edited:

Bruce R

I feel your pain, John. In the early 80's I had my beloved '55 Strat stolen and it still hurts.

That Goldtop sounded very nice - it cut really well. Good band as well!!