• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

First post, first Gibson. Any info appreciated.

maddnotez

Hopefully this is the right sub forum. I didn't see this specific year and the search function didn't have my scenario. As this is my first post maybe I should have posted in the intro section but this is an intro with questions so I felt it was better here.

TL;DR what neck profile is this that I have?

I played a friend's LP a while back and didn't like it at all as the neck was so thick. Normally I am a Charvel guy but my friend at work just sold me a Les Paul. I've always loved the look but the neck wasn't for me. I judged the entire line off one bad experience and now I've learned my lesson. Yes this neck is thicker than my Charvel BUT it is great. So easy to play, sanded neck and silky smooth and sounds incredible. I've been eyeing other variants recently like LTD or Edward's but this one fell into my lap.

It's just a Studio so I'm sure some of you will roll your eyes at my poverty guitar but I really like it. Was hoping some of the enthusiasts could help me with some info on it.

I'm mostly trying to learn what neck profile this is but any info would be awesome.

I am told it is a 1993 Studio. He thinks it is a slim taper neck? This did have a headstock break and repair but I'm ok with that. Thornbuckers, upgraded wiring, knobs and Grover Tuners. Even a hardshell case. Does anyone know about the models from the early 90's?

Zentar

If you like it that is all that matters. That is a 60s style neck which is a thin style.
That is a very professional looking neck repair.
Nice case too. I wonder if the innards are updated since the previous player added Grovers?

maddnotez

If you like it that is all that matters. That is a 60s style neck which is a thin style.
That is a very professional looking neck repair.
Nice case too. I wonder if the innards are updated since the previous player added Grovers?
Yeah, if you mean the wiring it was upgraded. He said the kit was like $100 and was a good improvement. Paper in Oil caps.

So 60s neck is thin. But is there also a Slim Taper that would be thinner? I read the Standards may have the thinnest neck?

Zentar

The Studio is a no frills Standard basically it has the Standard's 60s style neck. That chubby neck you played was a fatter 50's style neck like on the 58 and earlier. The 59 LP had a thinner neck than the 58. The 60 neck was even thinner than the 59. After 1960 there was no LP Standard. They stopped making Standards and went into making Zithers in the early 60s. Or was it SGs?

Zentar

Maybe you have pio caps called Bumble Bees? They are sought after.
BTW you probably have 500k ohm pots in your harness instead of 300ko that Studios use. Yours is suped up

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
…. a fatter 50's style neck like on the 58 and earlier. The 59 LP had a thinner neck than the 58. The 60 neck was even thinner than the 59. After 1960 there was no LP Standard. They stopped making Standards …. in the early 60s."

Lots of misinformation here. :wah

renderit

Very nice! I love Studios and want one.

This should probably be in the Sunburst Pub, but congrats anyway.

Necks are wonderful things. At first I preferred 60's ES style thinner necks (looks like what you have there), rounded not flat on the back.

Actually the neck I dislike the most is my R0. It is flatter on the back and I just don't play it much because of that.

As I have aged I now prefer meat.

But who knows...I ain't sellin' the R0 because I might like it more later.

Play the hell outta that beast!

maddnotez

Maybe you have pio caps called Bumble Bees? They are sought after.
BTW you probably have 500k ohm pots in your harness instead of 300ko that Studios use. Yours is suped up
Not sure. Here's a picture and a close up of the neck repair.

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
Very nice! I love Studios and want one.

This should probably be in the Sunburst Pub, but congrats anyway.

Play the hell outta that beast!

All of the above -- congrats on what looks like a great guitar. (You'll find lots of Studio fans and owners in the Sunburst Pub.) :yah