• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Reamer tool for installing Grovers

goldTopDeluxe

So this happened last week ... it was accidentally knocked it off its stand. After the initial heart palpitation and relief to see no neck break, I found the bent tuner.
I've always wanted Grovers, but also never felt the need to touch what is not broken. Now I literally have reason to.

Seems to be a lot of tool options from cheap to uber expensive.

https://www.allparts.com/LT-0815-000-Tapered-Reamer-Tool-for-Tuning-Peg-Holes_p_2069.html

https://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Types_of_Tools/Reamers/Peghole_Reamers.html

There are some real cheap Ebay offerings, many of which look identical to the Allparts tool.

From alot of posts here - if you limit the depth of what is enlarged, it allows the option of reversal and refitting the Klusons. I would be looking to take this approach.

Has anybody had experience and have advice on what tool to get? Trying to avoid having to fork out StewMac prices if unnecessary.

toxpert

You can also straighten the bent tuner.
Remove from guitar, make a jig to mount the tuner to...straighten the bend...re-install to guitar.

I would not try to straighten the bend while installed on the guitar.

renderit

The first Allparts tool is similar to what I use. My violin peg reamer is from the 50's but looks like the same thing.

I would NOT ream the entire hole. The Stewmac thing above looks good if it SELF CENTERS.

To use a peg reamer:

You just need to put it in from the back and give it a VERY MINOR ream about a third of the way up the hole.

Stick it in from the back.

With gentle pressure give it a turn.

Pull it out.

Check the Grover and see if it goes all the way in and seats fully on the back.

If not repeat.

This will ream just the back enough to seat the Grover.

What you want is for the Grover to SLIGHTLY shoulder on the reamed section.

That way it is snug and the screw is only holding the washer and not 'pulling it to center'.

The hole will still work for the standards.

This all said, this is the way I have done it since the 70's. There MAY be a better way...

goldTopDeluxe

and this is why I love this forum. thank you guys

Everybody is always quick to help with really good advice and the knowledge runs deep.

That rear peghole reamer looks like the go! I will try that.. hoping I can use it with a slow enough cordless drill if I cannot turn it by hand.

Mainah

It'll work by hand or in a drill. Just gotta go SLOW. Remember to put something solid over the tuner holes on the face of the headstock to bottom the reamer out on, otherwise it can bore the larger diameter hole straight through from the back.