• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Random Nicky question

Analoga1p

Does the original Nicky have zebras bobbin pickups? I know they are covered but just curious

corpse

That's not a particularly random question.
"Do your balls itch when you get done playing Nicky?"- now that's a random question.

Bruce R

Do the CCs have double whites?

I know at one time Gibson was not able to release guitars with uncovered double whites because of a patent issue with DiMarzio, but not sure if they are still bound to that or not. It is my understanding that this is why the Clapton "Beano" LP's were released with covers on the pickups, but the neck pickup was the correct double white underneath the cover.

Can anyone else confirm this?

asapmaz

I know at one time Gibson was not able to release guitars with uncovered double whites because of a patent issue with DiMarzio, but not sure if they are still bound to that or not. It is my understanding that this is why the Clapton "Beano" LP's were released with covers on the pickups, but the neck pickup was the correct double white underneath the cover.

Can anyone else confirm this?

It’s not a patent issue. It’s a trademark/tradedress issue, which means as long as DiMarzio continues to use the mark (double cream colored bobbins on humbuckers) in commerce, the rights will not expire.
So, unless Gibson gets a license from Dimarzio to use the mark, you will not be seeing any uncovered double creams from Gibson.