• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Les Paul Intonation

nikhilsanju

Hi there.
My Les Paul is giving me troubles with Intonation. I'm unable to perfectly Intonate it. It's showing that it 5cents sharper. I'm using a 9-42 guage. Is it alright if the difference is about 5cents? Or is there a problem? Would it Intonate better if I change to 10-46?

Please help me out. Thanks in advance šŸ˜Š

Bob Womack

Typically, you don't want to intone an instrument sharp if you have a choice. You can always sharp a slightly flat note with finger pressure but you can't flat a sharp note.

Bob

nikhilsanju

Typically, you don't want to intone an instrument sharp if you have a choice. You can always sharp a slightly flat note with finger pressure but you can't flat a sharp note.

Bob

Thanks for your reply
Will it Intonate better with 10's on it?

JReeves

Bob

on my tele i would bend the neck forward if i heard i was sharp. Haven't tried on my lpc yet...

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
what do you mean "giving you trouble"?

are the saddles maxed in one direction? are the posts straight?

Bob Womack

Thanks for your reply
Will it Intonate better with 10's on it?
If you don't mash down to hard and it is set up well there shouldn't be a difference. The only difference I hear is that as you go lighter in gauge you can hear the string go slightly sharp for a millisecond as you pluck it if you pluck it hard.

Bob

WytLytnyn

can you reverse the saddles to get another millimeter or two of adjustment?
I had to do this on an LPS.

If this doesn't work, you may want to consider some other bridges from aftermarket sources

TonePros
StewMac GoldenEra Roller bridge (I use these in my LP's)
Schaller

Plenty of companies have options.

PaulD

Yes it does sound in tune

Then personally I wouldn't worry about it. I doubt if many people would hear a 5 cent error as being out of tune, how hard you press down when fretting the note will likely change the pitch by much more than 5 cents.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
is your action set high? lowering the strings will bring the fretted pitch down as the strings won't be stretched as much.

one thing to try is tune way down (loosen the strings) and lean the bridge back toward the tail a bit. Make sure it stays there when you tune it back up. Then measure intonation again. That should be enough. :salude