• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson Les Paul Traditional 2018 bridge

Matt33

Hey,

I just got a new les paul traditional 2018 and intonation is sharp on the D string, like 5-7 cents. The bridge saddle is screwed all the way back.

Should i just flip the saddle to get more length to the string?

Is it a bad idea to buy a aftermarket bridge like tonepros to get more room for intonation? A few other saddles are also very close to the back of the bridge.

Or could it be a nut issue? I've measured nut action height and it seems fine. Neck relief is also measured and it seems fine,pretty straight with a very small gap at the 7th fret.

I used the setup guide found here: http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/88951-setup-guide-in-metric/

Thanks! Im Finnish btw so sorry for any misspellings :)

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
I would advise against moving the saddle out of a predictable pattern. Any deviation from that pattern means that either the string is bad, or the radius/arc of the saddles is not very good.

|
.|
..|
.|
..|
...|

Zentar

If you turn around a saddle you can gain a mm more of intonation length.

It sounds like you nearly have it intonated properly but not quite. Take it to a good luthier/technician who has set up many guitars. He will be able to spot a funky nut or whatever. It will only cost $30-75

Matt33

I would advise against moving the saddle out of a predictable pattern. Any deviation from that pattern means that either the string is bad, or the radius/arc of the saddles is not very good.

|
.|
..|
.|
..|
...|

I changed the string(i already had fairly new strings on) and also lubricated the nut and bridge saddle. Intonation is spot on and the saddles has roughly that same pattern. But now i dont know wether it was the new string or the nut sauce that fixed it :)

Nifty

I just had this done. The luthier that works on mine said he's seen this problem/resolution a lot of times with LPs. Although he never told me exactly why it's needed, but he's turned saddles forever. Some will show up with saddles already flipped. And some will do this anyway. Mine was the G string.

charliechitlins

I have flipped many a LP saddle to get proper intonation.
You can do it yourself in under 5 minutes.
Edit...I see you sorted it.
Obviously a bad string.
A small kink will do it.

NIckS

First thing I would do is get a complete setup of the guitar by a competent individual. It could be that the strings are hitting the back of the bridge or the neck needs an adjustment.