• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Looking for a pickup change

om1974

This is my first post. I played guitar for about 5-7 years in high school/college, then occasionally picked it up after that until recently playing more, so I am getting back into it. I just bought a 2018 SG with Classic '57s, and over a month later I am still *trying * to like them. I have a Marshall DSL 40C. My favorite guitarist is Joe Perry of Aerosmith, but I also play a lot of 80s heavier stuff, like Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden. I don't like these pickups at all for this type of music. I do, however, get a great AC/DC sound.

So, what I have read about pickups- I believe I am after something brighter, hotter. I like bright sounds, especially really bright strings (LOVE the D' addario pro steels, but won't put them on this guitar). I have a LP with 498T, which I really like. I just picked up an Epi boneyard (LOVE IT) with Burstbucker 3 in bridge. I like it too. From reading through the forums, I decided to try GHS Boomers on my Epi, and I LOVE those strings- it is definitely playing a role in how fun the guitar is to play. I haven't had good strings on my SG yet- came with Brite Wires, which were a year old. I changed them to D 'addario NYXL (not sure what the buzz is over these, I don't care for them, but am too cheap to take them off quite yet). So FIRST I am going to try some strings I know I like.

If my opinion doesn't change with some good strings, I am considering for bridge Dirty Fingers, 500T, Burstbucker Pro. Maybe Dimarzio D-Activator or Super Distortion (largely based on specs and reviews I am reading). I watch YouTube videos, but the sound is over my computer, so it all mostly sounds the same.

Any opinions? Has anyone tried BOTH the 500T and Dirty Fingers? I am really liking the Burstbucker 3, so maybe I should go with the Pro? Is there enough difference to warrant having guitars with each?

thejaf

You'll get a metric s*&t ton of opinions on this one. It really depends on the guitar itself. My favorite pickups in the last 14 years (last change) have been the Peter Florance Voodoo 59s in my CR8.

That said, I found the original Classic 57s in my LP Elegant to be fantastic for that guitar.

If you want grunt and clarity, I'd also suggest trying a JB (seymour duncan) - you can get a used one cheap.

Thundermtn

Not a big fan of the 500T. For me it is THE sound of early 2000's Nu Metal.

I took one out of a LP Classic, still have one in a Flying V. Still don't like it but leave it in for the sake of originality.

If you want to stay with a Gibson humbucker check out the '61.

If you're going with Seymour Duncans, check out their '59/Custom hybrid for a heavier middle of the road sound or a Distortion for metal tones.

scuzzy

Hi Everyone this too is my 1st post and as i am also looking for a pickup change I'm hoping this is the best thread to ask advice.
I recently bought a Les Paul Studio 2016 in wine red second hand as it was a decent price, this is my first Les Paul...only took 53 years sheesh.
The problem was of course that being over the web I didn't have a chance to play it first. However, it plays great but i hate the pickups it's the 490/498 set, no disrespect to anyone who does like that set but it just doesn't sound good to me is all.
I'm thinking of changing to either a Pearly Gates or a Jazz in the neck, and a custom 5 in the bridge, the sound i'm looking for is the Gary Moore bluesey tones and the 80's Dio (Viv Campbell holy diver/last in line) era and Y & T (Dave Meniketti black tiger/ earthshaker) sounds.
I'm wondering if you think these would be suitable for those kind of tones, also the guitar has 300k pots, would they be ok for these newer pups or would you think 500k? also would you recommend the pups being covered or not
Regards
scuzzy

om1974

You'll get a metric s*&t ton of opinions on this one. It really depends on the guitar itself. My favorite pickups in the last 14 years (last change) have been the Peter Florance Voodoo 59s in my CR8.

That said, I found the original Classic 57s in my LP Elegant to be fantastic for that guitar.

If you want grunt and clarity, I'd also suggest trying a JB (seymour duncan) - you can get a used one cheap.

Thanks! I have decided to go with the JB!