• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

HOL' ME BACK: Highly-Modified Gibson Les Paul Special 1956 - 1958

BrandonH

Folks, I've had my interest piqued. I've sent the seller questions regarding when the refinish was done, and a lot of specifics on some of the oddities noted in the description. Somebody tell me buying this would be a dumb idea if I got a good discount.

Because it's a golden era special, in the price zone I can afford. HOLD ME BACK!!!

https://reverb.com/item/18154974-hi...ul-special-in-tv-yellow-mid-1956-to-late-1958

I'm going to show my ignorance, too. I don't know what he means referencing that "veneer". Can somebody point it out in the pictures to me?

miczap

Folks, I've had my interest piqued. I've sent the seller questions regarding when the refinish was done, and a lot of specifics on some of the oddities noted in the description. Somebody tell me buying this would be a dumb idea if I got a good discount.

Because it's a golden era special, in the price zone I can afford. HOLD ME BACK!!!

https://reverb.com/item/18154974-hi...ul-special-in-tv-yellow-mid-1956-to-late-1958

I'm going to show my ignorance, too. I don't know what he means referencing that "veneer". Can somebody point it out in the pictures to me?

I've seen wayyyy cleaner 'issue' specials from the golden era come up for similar money- a refin only went recently for like 6k. I'd recommend holding out for a cleaner one.

i'm especially wary that the body has been pancaked to hide routes- as far as I understand, they cut off the top of the body and glued a new piece of mahogany and made new routes to hide a previous HB conversion. yuck.

BrandonH

I've seen wayyyy cleaner 'issue' specials from the golden era come up for similar money- a refin only went recently for like 6k. I'd recommend holding out for a cleaner one.

i'm especially wary that the body has been pancaked to hide routes- as far as I understand, they cut off the top of the body and glued a new piece of mahogany and made new routes to hide a previous HB conversion. yuck.

Thanks for knocking some sense into me. Something felt off in that "mahogany veneer" description, but I wasn't quite putting together the picture, and I think you did. Especially since I wasn't seeing any clear indications of it in the front-on shots. That was the bit that made me go from "Hmmm"ing, to asking you guys here. Because I knew there was something funky that I couldn't put my finger on.

Welp. At this point, anybody want to convince me back INTO buying it? :laugh2:

brandtkronholm

+1

AA00475Bassman

Vintage ? old wood ? Really what does this guitar offer , vintage magic ? Id much rather have a Historic then a husk !!

Last edited:

BrandonH

Im selling a players grade special that is a similar price with much less work done to it. They do come up often, refins are usually a good way to go. As long as you've got the original pickups and the original wood then you're all good

https://reverb.com/item/16695126-gibson-les-paul-special-double-cutaway-tv-yellow-1959

Thanks for the sobering up on this gitfiddle folks! and designerseye88: That thing's sweet. Shipping guitars across the pond is a scary prospect to me, though!

Thanks for the sobering up on this gitfiddle folks! and designerseye88: That thing's sweet. Shipping guitars across the pond is a scary prospect to me, though!

Yeah i agree mate, Shipping is always an issue with this kind of guitar. Let's hope theirs some clarification on the whole CITES issue soon. I always see so much nice stuff in the US and it's frustrating knowing it's so difficult to get me hands on it!