• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

50s Grover Imperials

Wvintage_63

Hi, relatively new here and im after a non wire gold abr1 (59-60 style) and some gold grover imperials for my 60 factory mono 355. Anyone have any or can point me in the direction for some? Dont mind paying for the right parts.

Cheers!

JimR56

What kind of tuners are on it now? Imperials seem like a bit of an unusual choice for a 355. Are you sure you didn't mean Rotomatics?

Wvintage_63

Good old schallers unfortunately. Its a 1 owner guitar and i was told it was ordered that way. I have album covers of the the guitar in the early 60s featuring the imperials on it. Thanks!

Wvintage_63

Was owned by Les Green from Australian band the denverman. Google it and there’s plenty of footage of the guitar etc. The owner ordered it in late 1959. It’s a beauty. I’ll get some pics soon.

richard henry

Banned
Cool guitar.

The-Denvermen-SURFSIDE-and-other-great-instrumentals.jpg

Wvintage_63

Cheers guys! I have contacted the family and they have the original imperials by chance! Very lucky to have them.

JimR56

A couple of questions and comments re the 355...

Do you know what control knobs Les was using? In the old photos, they almost look like Gretsch knobs. Did you have to track down the black bonnet knobs?

For a guitar that spent some time in the sun (even at the beach, as I saw in a couple of old videos on youtube!), the color looks quite good. If it were mine, I'd keep it away from direct light as much as possible (as I do with my old cherry Sheraton).

Do you know if that pickguard is original? If so, I would monitor its condition regularly. Don't leave it in the case for long periods, and watch for cracks and discoloration in the plastic. As you may know, those tortoise guards are ticking time bombs in terms of the way they decompose and outgas (very damaging to metal parts). It's only a matter of time, and I've experienced the ugly consequences myself, unfortunately.

An absolute dream version/configuration of a dream Gibson model, imo. Enjoy.

Wvintage_63

Hi, yeah cheers she’s a beauty. Incredible quality. Has a pair of double whites unopened and sounds great. Played but cared for. The guard has been verified by a luthier in sydney who’s seen multiple. Has some bubbling going on up close. Have a set of the correct knobs on the way. I’ll get some photos when she’s back to her glory. Not a solder joint touched.

JimR56

So no ideas on what control knobs Les had on there in the 60's?

From your photo, I thought you already had vintage correct knobs (black bonnet knobs).

If that pickguard is original, I'm telling you, watch it closely. I don't know what you mean exactly by "bubbling", but I'll say this. Some people seem to think that they need to keep original tortoise guards on vintage guitars, even after they start to chemically break down (crack, crumble, outgas, etc). Very bad idea! Pickguards are replaceable, and can be made to look right using the original binding (which is far less likely to decompose than the tortoise material). The value of the guitar wouldn't be adversely affected if a nice new replica guard was installed.

Wvintage_63

The guitar came to me with the replica bonnet knobs installed. Ill be putting real ones back on. Yeah ive been leaving her out of the guitar case for now. :)