• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1976 Standard pickup cavity marking

LSX

I've got a 1976 Les Paul Standard tobacco sunburst I got from my grandpa probably 12 years ago or so. He says he bought it brand new in West Plains Missouri...he dont know what year he got it but was certain he got it new. It has the 00 serial number and pots and pickups date to 1976 as well. I play it all the time and have for the last 12 years so. I pulled the pickups while changing strings today jus for giggles and see the number 25 printed in the neck pickup cavity...does anyone know what this means? I was just curious..thanks in advance!! I'll try to upload a pic if I can do it on my phone.

Lee

Last edited:

LSX

Here it is

Attachments

• 20190112_091244.jpg
    20190112_091244.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 79

latestarter

I've seen them before , but I'm not sure what they represent. Probably a batch number for finishing or similar.

LSX

I was thinking something similar as well. At first i was thinking it was a week number, like 25th week of 1976 but your idea sounds more likely. The dates on both pickups are "SEP 17 1976" which would be around the 38th week. If it was a week number I cant imagine the body setting around for 3 months waiting for pickups with 25th week would be around June. In that cavity in the pic it looks as if there was sticker residue there at one time, from the building process I'm guessing. I know the pickups have never been out since it was built. Thanks for the repy!

guitplayer

I think nothing to do with the finish as wine red Standards from 76 also have
the "25". Look in the bridge cavity. If there is a "24" ,it might have more to do with depth of cavity.

Strings Jr.

My opinion is that the stamps were made by inspectors. At that time, there were many QC inspection stations in the process, before and after finishing. Similar to the names seen in pickup cavities in later years.

LSX

There are no markings in the bridge cavity on mine. I'm probably gona go with the theory that it's something QC related or that I jus dont or wont ever know. Thanks for the replys!