• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Should I buy this Gibson LP Custom from 1991?

Hadeweka

Hi there,

since a while now I am thinking of buying a Gibson Les Paul Custom Ebony. Just recently I found one (used, but in good condition) in a nearby guitar store, played it a bit and liked it quite a lot.

According to an employee it is from 1991. The serial number is "1 50--" and it seems to be some sort of re-issue, I guess.

Now my questions:
Is it possible to truly confirm that this model is actually from 1991? Are there any unambiguous features?
Also the guitar costs as much as a completely new model (both about 3500€ or 4000$) which I could buy online at Thomann music. Should I buy the used one or rather a completely new one? Since the one in the local store is from 1991, it shouldn't be too much of a rarity, or am I wrong?

Sorry for some possibly stupid questions, I am far from being an expert on this topic :)

Regards, Hadeweka

latestarter

Could you post some photos?

I'm not sure anyone can advise as to whether or not you "should" buy any guitar, but we can help you confirm what it is to help you make that decision.

Remember too, if a guitar sounds good and plays good, it is good. One can get caught up too much in models, years etc....

Last edited:

Zentar

Anytime you buy a guitar in that price range you're going to experience sticker shock.

Hamerfan

Post pics. Along the serial number it could be something like a very early Classic, too. Then it would be rather half the money worth.

BrandonH

By my understanding, the 90s era of Les Pauls were very well made guitars. (I love my '94 Studio. I will say, though, the jack has gone to shit recently, the pickup selector switch tip fell off, and other minor points... I'll grant, this is some many years after it being my #2 axe for gigging and spazzing around violently on stage) You really haven't given us too much else in details, though. I think if you hopped on your local shop's website, and posted a few pictures of the axe, you'd get a load of informative replies. It's a little hard to say from the brief post you made. For example, you ask about confirming the validity of the guitar. This is effectively impossible without pictures of it.

I'll be honest. If everything pans out good, I would take the '91 over the current Gibson. Gibson has picked up their game over the past several years, but, eh, Bankruptcy concerns me. The 90s were a solid era for them.

Hadeweka

Thanks for the answers, so far :).

Yeah, I forgot to take a photo of the guitar. Should have known better.
The webpage of the guitar shop is rather small and has no photos of it, sadly.

If I find some time I'll try to go to the shop again tomorrow and take some photos.

If it truly is a Les Paul from 1991, which possible models are there, out of curiosity?

Tim Plains

Maybe a 91 pre-historic. Probably has short tenon and Swiss cheese holes since proper 57 reissues were like that until the late 90s...if specs matter to you.

Hadeweka

Here it is (if I uploaded it correctly):
IMG_20190114_125025_495.jpg

It's the one in the front (the left should be from 1987 and is a bit more used). I still consider buying it, so any other advices, e.g. for strings which play well on a Les Paul?

Keefoman

If the guitar ticks all your boxes, the question is: Why shouldn`t you? If there`s a majority of answers that you shouldn`t, there`s your answer. (If all boxes are ticked, you definetaly should...)

Pellman73

If you call Gibson (I've done this in the past. not sure its still avail now) you can give them the serial number and they can confirm at least that the number goes with the guitar