• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Need help breaking down a serial number

Snappy Joe

Hi,
I've been to a feww so called Gibson Serial number lists but can't seem to find the one I'm looking for. I'm completely confused. I'd appreciate somebody to just tell me what year this serial number is.
It's a a black stamp on a Les Paul burst. No made in USA script.
The number is 8 8586
Thanks in advance

BrandonH

Quick google search. Is this what you're looking for?
https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?151755-Historic-serial-numbers? First digit represent the reissue year, second is the year it was actually made (in the 00's), final digits are their place in the sequence.

As somebody who's barely dabbing his feet into keeping track of all this stuff from a sort of collector perspective: My God, "Serial" number by Gibson is a misnomer. Serial implies 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9................. It's not that way. It's a God damned mess, and nobody can fault you for being lost with a specific guitar run.

SO. If I grabbed the CORRECT Gibson run, we've got 8 8586. A reissue of a 1958 Les Paul. Manufactured in 2008. Your guitar is # 586.

(James Curleigh if you're reading this, JUST SERIALIZE SERIAL NUMBERS. GOD DAMN!)

johnreardon

Hi,
I've been to a feww so called Gibson Serial number lists but can't seem to find the one I'm looking for. I'm completely confused. I'd appreciate somebody to just tell me what year this serial number is.
It's a a black stamp on a Les Paul burst. No made in USA script.
The number is 8 8586
Thanks in advance

Assuming it's a genuine Gibson, the serial number looks like that of an R8 i.e. 1958 Reissue. However why not ask Gibson? They will need to see pics of the guitar including the serial

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
It says, Custom Art/ Gibson Historic.

What is "it"? A piece of paper? The case?
That's not a model name.

Please show a clear photo of the back of the headstock.

To all:
Couldn't this be a Les Paul Classic? :hmm

Snappy Joe

I could reach the guy who is offering the LP. He said that it is a 1998 Custom Shop w. the Custom Shop Art Case. I wasn't sure if that was accurate but now I saw some paperwork which seems to be all OK.