• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

L.P. R8 Custom Historic Art 1998 any good?

Snappy Joe

Hi I recently stumbled over a LP model name that is new to me. It says "Custom Historic Art " The guitar is made in 1998. I assume it still has the 13° head stock angle instead of 17°.
What kind of series is that and what level in quality is it?
Thanks in advance

P.S. I've also seen it written the other way round like.."Custom Art Historic"

Last edited:

AA00475Bassman

Any good ? I have owned several 90's R8's very nice guitars , I would think this is something you could ascertain for your self any good is so subjective !

Snappy Joe

Well, no insult intended. I was just wondering how they would compare to the contemporary True historic. I probably should have asked more precisely. We all know that companies have golden eras and not so good eras. I'm thinking about trading in a near mint vintage guitar of mine that is at 4 - 4,7 K Euros, depending on the seller and condition. It pretty much keeps it's value on the long run. So my concern is to either trade it w. a true historic or the one in question. I'm not familiar w. these LP from that era and I just don't want to trade in w. a guitar that is loosing value or has a too high asking price.
What is the street prize on those?
Unfortunately this particular LP is not local, so I'll have to rely on some research in the fore field

herb

I've been playing a stock 1995 R8 Plaintop since it was new. For a plain-top the guitar is stunning. It has a beautiful top and the back has some of the best mahogany I've seen.

I have come across a few other R8s that I have purchased since (2002 R8; it was flamey, 2007 R8 and a 2016 Knopfler R8). All nice guitars but to me, not one of those guitars came close to the sound of my '95. I've since sold the others with minimal regrets. (That '07 did sound pretty funky, though!)

My point is, if a guitar speaks to you, that's the one you should keep and play, no matter if the specs are closer to the originals or not.

Last edited:

Snappy Joe

That's right. Like I said, the guitar I'm looking at is not local, actually in an other country. So I'm trying to gather as much information as possible. Herb, may I ask you what exactly you felt was better on your early LP? Was ist the sound of the wood quality or overall handling? I'm curious to know

herb

My 1995 R8. The quality of the wood, overall build, and solid electronics somehow were all matched together to equal an outstanding guitar. I was very lucky to come across it.

IMG_4681_zps4599b742.jpg

herb

That's right. Like I said, the guitar I'm looking at is not local, actually in an other country. So I'm trying to gather as much information as possible. Herb, may I ask you what exactly you felt was better on your early LP? Was ist the sound of the wood quality or overall handling? I'm curious to know

It's been said a million times here but it's tough to buy sight unseen. Maybe the seller will offer an inspection period?

mjinli

I personally only ever buy guitars sight unseen if I think I can get what I pay back out of it. All I can say is that a lot of people buy into the "good wood era" idea so if it comes resale you're at a good starting point.

I had a '97 R0. Good guitar and sounded great but that was with upgraded electronics and swapped pickups. Routing was clean, no visible factory screwups, but I ended up selling it and picking something else up because for whatever reason I just didn't bond with it.