The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
    Les Paul Forum Member

Orange amp parameters

I noticed Jimmy Page is using Orange amps and this prompted some sound staples on YT then back to the axeeII to try its model . Good but dark. I like the g b and e strings which are typically shrill in all the Marshall's even with the peq trick. Who is using this for zep to zz and beyond tones? Any tracks to get a full tonal spectrum? Thanks

Re: Orange amp parameters

Depending on the footage you are watching, a lot of the time the Orange was used for the theramin.

Unless you are watching the Celebration Day DVD from the O2 where a lot of Page’s main guitar comes from the Orange in the live mix, which possibly explains why, along with the downtuning, Page’s guitar sounded darker compared to older live recordings.

Les Paul Forum Member deytookerjaabs's Avatar

Well, if either are "shrill" they got it all wrong man....

My Orange OR-120 is a smokey beast of an amp you can get a lot timbres out of and my Germino clone is warm as heck too. I've played some rigs that had a spike to them that was hard to dial out but I feel like that's an undetected issue or the wrong speakers etc and I've passed on buying amps because of that...where I figured I'd have to get the thing serviced immediately.

Either way, if it's all working right warmth without mud should not be hard to dial in.

Les Paul Forum Member ourmaninthenorth's Avatar

Somewhat tangentially, I think Pagey used an old Orange Matamp too at some point.

Can't find any footage, so Koss will have to do.....

Shakespeare walks into a pub, the Landlord says "get out, you're Bard"