• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Is this '94 Les Paul Custom R7 "the real deal"?

tschonsn

Hi folks,

I checked out a lot of very interesting threads here and always got the help I needed - until now:

I have the opportunity to buy a 1994 LP Custom R7 in quite mint condition - but I have some concerns about something is not "real" or maybe does not fit:
Since the serial number is 7 4807 , Gibson's customer support told me (I sent them the same pictures shown below) the serial number belongs to a 1994 LPC Historic R7.

Ok - good so far ->BUT look at the black case and the backside of the neck !!!

a) the case is black and regarding to the (very great btw) Historic "101" on top of this forum, it should have been introduced in 2000...6 years later than this guitar was produced - AND SOLD to the original owner (i asked a few times if he was sure, that it came with this case stock).

b) there is no decal on the backside of the neck, which should also be on it (referring to the "Historic 101" of this forum).

WHAT DO YOU THINK? Is everything OK with this guitar and case, or is the seller trying to hide/blurry something.
354_-602354553.jpg354_1168166393.jpg354_1280561979.jpg354_2045294786.jpg

BTW: THIS is what Gibson replied to me:
"The serial number and pictures refer to a guitar Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty 57’ in Ebony finish, gold hardware, made in 1994 in Nashville US, as part of the Historic Collection Series from the Custom Shop.
This guitar model has mahogany top and back."

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your (hopefully!) input on this one...
Best regards,
Tschonsn
(and please forgive me my spelling and grammer since I am from a tiny country called Austria (Schwarzenegger-Country)

tschonsn

markguitar

Les Paul Forum Member
Wrong case! ALL reissues came in the brown Gibson USA cases until 1997. That black Historic collection case 1998 or newer. Also, no decal on the back of the headstock in '94, that's '93 only.

Mars Hall

My 96 R7 came with the brown case that had the pink satin sash that laid over the top of the guitar. After several years, I noticed the binding was turning red which I deduced was from the sash's color bleeding into the lacquer. Gibson warrantied the case and sent me the newer model shown here with the OP's guitar. Perhaps the original owner did the same?

tschonsn

Ok, so there is no chance, that there has been the black case around in 1994? Wasn't 1994 the 100years anniversary? Maybe it was kind of "prototype".
The original owner says it came with the black one when he bought it new back then.

Since I'm from Austria - could there have been a "difference" due to US and European market?
Don't get me wrong, I think the black case even prettier than the brown one - but I want the whole "package" to be original from 94...

I'll check the guitar out on the weekend...maybe the owner has more details about the purchase back then...

(why can't i just play playstation as a hobby....:## - thank you Gibson for making me crazy about that wood :hank )

AA00475Bassman

I would not let the case shade your new guitar , you own a nice original R7 play your new guitar & enjoy it

Progrocker111

Nice guitars, but these early reissues are very different to current ones. Dont forget, this guitar will have short neck tenon and regular USA electronics, so linear 300k pots.

I would rather have post 2000 reissue of this guitar, current 2018s ones are especially really excellent with one piece mahogany body as a bonus and better pickups too.

mjinli

tschonsn

Thanks for all your input!
I have that thing now at home for a few days and have to admit, that all my nervous behavior wasn't necessary :)

The quality and sound is amazing and the guitar looks almost new (1994!!!). If the original owner hadn't shown me pictures of him, I would have guessed, it's from 2004 and not 1994!

I don't have good pics, but I'll come back later...

and regular USA electronics, so linear 300k pots.
- should i change them? I think the way, to roll off the volume and highs is pretty "short"...so it is not that easy to clean up an amp as i thought or know from other Les Pauls...it has the stock classic 57 PUs in it.

Best regards,
Tschonsn

Richard.Pool

Ok, nice guitar but I would think 2004, because of the case and the lack of Historic Collection decal.
Those were 93 and 94 (I had a '93 R7, long tenon btw.)

Thanks for all your input!
I have that thing now at home for a few days and have to admit, that all my nervous behavior wasn't necessary :)

The quality and sound is amazing and the guitar looks almost new (1994!!!). If the original owner hadn't shown me pictures of him, I would have guessed, it's from 2004 and not 1994!

I don't have good pics, but I'll come back later...

- should i change them? I think the way, to roll off the volume and highs is pretty "short"...so it is not that easy to clean up an amp as i thought or know from other Les Pauls...it has the stock classic 57 PUs in it.

Best regards,
Tschonsn

If the guitar sounds great keep the pickups. The 57s are very good PAF style pickups.

tschonsn

No, I think it really IS from 94 because of the history (pre-owner) and the missing "newer" logo on the back...and gibson confirmed it 3 times (they hate me now because of my frantic mailing :D )
The neck is sooo thick - i think this is one of the most sound-influencing specs of this guitar...LOVE IT!

I love the 57 PU, but indeed the treble roll-off is too much for my taste. I'll check the pots...
IMG_1853.jpg(with a 57 low power twin (clone)

MeHereNow

I used to own a 92 LPC pre-historic.
Long neck tenon , full mahogany construction, no Art & historic decal on the headstock, factory Bigsby, and had 300k pots mounted on a harnessplate like they did from the 70's and 57 classic PU's.
Came stock with the brown big logo case pink interior with shroud.

MeHereNow

Coincidental, a friend of mine owned a '94 LPC 57 RI stoptail like yours, (brown & pink case) he preferred the pickups "cover-of" sound.
When he took the covers of they were zebra bobbin 57 classics.
I checked my guitar: zebra 57's
Checked by unscrewing the brass bottom screws, never took the covers off.

rwijaya

I own a 7 4884 Serial number LPC with factory Bigsby. You have a legit Les paul over there. grats on the NGD

richard henry

Banned
Does the guitar in question have regular ceramic caps or bumblebee caps? That will help determine if it's '94 or or '04. Pot codes would confirm that also.