The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

How I discovered Jimi Hendrix's Flying V

Interesting article about how David Brewis found Hendrix's psychedelic flying V:

A few days after the dream, I happened to be in my local guitar shop in Newcastle upon Tyne. I knew the owner, John, very well. He said, "Hey, I've just got a Jimi Hendrix Flying V!" He showed it to me, and I asked if it really was Jimi's. He said no, but it was the same model, and added: "Wouldn't it be something if it was actually Jimi's guitar?" At this point, in the mid-'90s, nobody had seen the Jimi guitar, the one with his hand-painted decorations on it, for over 20 years.
    I took the guitar to Stephen Maycock at a Sotheby's valuation day in Newcastle. As I took the pickguard off to show him inside, he said he was sure that it was Jimi Hendrix's guitar. I asked what give him that idea, before even holding it? He pointed at some coloured paint traces on the underside of the pickguard, created when Jimi had painted the guitar in '67 and the paint ran under the guard while it was still wet.
    https://reverb.com/news/how-i-discov...EaPCypE_LrjHok

Replica posted only for reference:

Last edited by SteveMKentucky; 01-08-19 at 07:48 AM.

Les Paul Forum Member

Re: How I discovered Jimi Hendrix's Flying V

Awesome post. I think it's terrible that someone ruined the custom paint job Jimi did to that guitar, that was a great part of it's charm IMO.
    Al

I saw that guitar (I presume it was that one...) at an exhibit the Boston Museum of Fine Arts did back in 2000 - 2001, The Art of the Guitar.
    I remember standing there and thinking that arguably the greatest guitar player in history has stood behind it, and who knows which of those songs we've heard a million times were played on that one.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Les Paul Forum Member

Would need to see more photos, but it looks like Jimi did not change the angle of the bridge for left hand playing. The treble side should be closer to the p/u than the bass side.

Les Paul Forum Member

Nice story , thanks for posting !

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VamboRool View Post
    Would need to see more photos, but it looks like Jimi did not change the angle of the bridge for left hand playing. The treble side should be closer to the p/u than the bass side.
    He probably just flipped a couple of saddles and adjusted them to get the intonation as close as possible. There's not a big angle to the bridge, so it theoretically could get "close enough for rock'n'roll".
    Al

Les Paul Forum Member

I saw Jimi's V at the Hard Rock in Dallas when it first opened.