• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

staple top P 90?

jlh

So, I am a Humbucker fan, I have an R 4 that plays amazing, I just do not like the P 90 grind, I have tried several different P 90's but can't get them to sound like I want, which is like my Humbuckers.
I love the R 4 feel and vibe, I am looking for a P 90 pickup that will give me that airy, open humbucker tone.
Will staple tops do this?
If not what will.
I do not want to modify the guitar

Midnight Blues

So, I am a Humbucker fan, I have an R 4 that plays amazing, I just do not like the P 90 grind, I have tried several different P 90's but can't get them to sound like I want, which is like my Humbuckers.
I love the R 4 feel and vibe, I am looking for a P 90 pickup that will give me that airy, open humbucker tone.
Will staple tops do this?
If not what will.
I do not want to modify the guitar

Personally, I love “The Staple”! It’s probably my favorite pickup. To me it’s much warmer than a “normal” P90 and I suppose that’s why it’s traditionally placed in the neck position? Having typed that, I don’t know if it’ll get you the HB tone you’re looking for though? It depends on how “Hot” you want them to be.

Would be nice if you could find one installed that you could try-out.

Good luck!

filtersweep

If you don’t like P90s, give up already.

I love my P90 Tribute. But if you are NOT a P90 fan, that is OK. I don’t like short scale Fenders.

AA00475Bassman

Ive never played a staple top like the SD that fits a standard p90 route , I really like the original I've owned !

Dreman

I think it's impossible for a P90 to sound like an HB. The two designs have very different resonant frequencies - the former much darker than the latter, regardless of magnet strength. Mini-HBs are not a solution, either, as they're well above the HB in brightness.

You might have to consider selling the guitar if you're unhappy with the P90.

renderit

I'd go the opposite. HB's being darker than P90's by a margin.

A staple top is generally more clear than a standard P90 on the ones I have played.

B&G Guitars makes a stacked dual coil P90 called a Kikbucker which tends to have a bit more Humbucker tonality without losing the better of the p90 tones. It is also dead quiet. It has an Alnico 5 in it.

Maybe there are others who make them more humbuckeresque.

40152720732_8606b3b53e_k.jpg

40152732972_45c6be2e32_k.jpg

28405310139_4fe90c7e3d_k.jpg

zacknorton

“Staple” pickups are brighter, and have a more focused attack than a standard p90. If you don’t like p90’s you’ll hate the staple style pu.

You’re better off embracing the differences in the guitars. There’s really no way you’re going to get standard hb sound out of a pickup that fits into a p90 sized space.

If you absolutely MUST do this. The only way you’ll get close is to have someone custom wind a pickup for this specific goal.

My best guess bet would be on a stacked p90 that is specifically voiced to “emulate” a standard humbucker but you might find someone who can get close with a mini hb

Curtis Novak?

ArthurS

Maybe try a take on a mini humbucker? Your choice isn’t limited to just the 70s Gibson models now, there are quite a few different models from various makers. In my experience they sound closer to a full size HB than to a P90

latestarter

Route the R4 for buckers - done. The corner screws for the surround is the issue of course but maybe talk to a luthier about options.

I did the same on ‘64 Firebird (already had mods) and it was the best thing I did for that guitar!

Alternatively, Pete Biltoft at Vintage Vibe Guitars can wind you whatever you want in whatever shape. He's a master of custom pickup solutions.

gjohnson

I didn't care for the brittle brightness of the soapbar P90 in my 2019 Gibson LP Jr Tribute so I replaced it with a Seymour Duncan PAF Antiquity Humbucker. However, I recently found a 2010 Gibson LP Jr with a Dogeared P90 and I can't stop playing it. Unlike the P90 in my Tribute, the 2010 Jr P90 is has richness, clarity, and a nice fat tone.